Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error message during startup

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everybody.

I have got an old Everex StepNote SC notebook which was utterly messed up. I managed to fix it but still have one problem left. During start up I get the following message " NoteBIOS partition or File doesn't exist: Save To Disk feature is disabled ". I press any key then F1 to resume operation and windows (98 SE) loads up without further problem.

Could you help?

Thanks / Ami Yogev

Edited by y.a, 07 January 2006 - 03:53 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I assume you wiped your harddrive and reinstalled from scratch.

Older notebooks had a BIOS enabled feature much like Windows hibernate that would ave your system state information to a hidden partition. You must have deleted said partition.

You can disable this feature in bios. While booting, look for a message PRESS ???? to ENTER SETUP

Usually f1, f2, f10 or DEL key

The problem is it is named different things. Look for something like SAVE SYSTEM STATE, perhaps under a POWER or ENERGY SAVING area or maybe TOOLS or UTILITIES

If you are unsure, run through the menus, copy down the settings and post back

You need to run through the menus using your Cursor keys

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks, gerryf.

It is true that I wiped out the disk and reformatted after spending hours trying to fix the computer by repair installations of win 98 and all the other tools at my possession. I think that the computer was owned by someone who never had a clue, who installed and removed programs like crazy, incorrectly, leaving shred of software by the ton.

However, the problem I mentioned existed even before I formatted so it is not related directly to what I did. The BIOs has rather limited options and I went through all of them time and again but could find nothing related. Data is saved either to ram or hard disk in suspend mode and I can only choose between these two options. Here is the power saving menu:

power savings - enabled
standby timeout - 2 min
suspend mode - save to ram
auto suspend timeout - 2 min
hard disk timeout - 2 min
cover switch control - LCD off
ring resime - on
battery loe beep - off

Another question, if I may, that cropped up latter: There is nothing in the bios related to pcmcia card eventhough the computer has a socket and device manager shows the existence of driver for such card. When I install a workable communications pcmcia the computer doesn't recognize it and in control panel > pcmcia > it shows that the socket is empty eventough the card is installe. During POST test it seems that the cpu doesn't approach the card at all (indicator LEDs are off all the time). The ability to communicate is the only reason I am willing to spend time on this computer and without it it's worthless to me. Do you have any idea?

Thanks / Ami Yogev

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Issue one...DISABLE POWER SAVING and see if that stops this behavior

Issue two. Try installing the driver for the modem card first, then plug it in, then boot into windows...see if it picks up first. The pcmia card may have a miniport driver that needs to be read before the card is recognized.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Re. issue 1: disabled power saving. didn't make a difference.

Re. issue 2: Will try what you suggested latter and will report back.

Regards / Ami Yogev

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what about when you choose save to ram?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
YOUR ONLY other option, I think is to recreate that disk, but it is something you should have done before installing windows again

If you want to do it now, it might be tricky

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi gerryf.

Regarding "save to ram: changed it to "save to disk" (the only other option). No difference. The truth is that this message is a nuisence which I could live with. When it appears the computer starts bleeping for a number of times (not consistent) but after I press Enter it keeps bleeping few times and then stops and windows loads up without any glitch. My real problem is the communication.

As I said, a driver was found within windows during its installation (device manager > pcmcia > Cirrus Logic pcic compatible pci to pcmca bridge). The card itself is St Lab 10/100 fast ethernet for which i couldn't find yet a driver. I wonder if the fact that there is no reference whatsoever in the BIOS to any type of communications hardware is not the problem. The whole thing is utterly dead. It could be a motherboard problem but somehow I feel that this is not the case. Isn't the card supposed to work with the driver found by windows? All the hardware drivers were found within win 98 SE. They all matched the hardware as attested by comparing the drivers to the hardware items identified by Everest Home Edition. The only one which is missing is for "unknown device". I can't figure out which device is identified as "unknown" by windows.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.sunsway.com.hk/

I think this is the one you are looking for

CB-LAN100 Cardbus 10/100 Ethernet adatper

I would download the above, extract it, then double click on the yellow , choose update driver, choose find it myself, then point to the folder you extracted and see it if will recognize it

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks gerryf.

I found this link beforehand, downloaded and tried to install it both for the "unknown device" and for pcmcia. Didn't work. Among the extracted files in this compressed driver there is a small DOS program called CBOPEN. When I run it it tells me: Error 04 - cannot find a pci-to-cardbus bridge!. Any ideas?

I appreciate your efforts to help me in this topic.

Kind regards / Ami Yogev