Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Xp crash - need to recover files

• Please log in to reply

kram

kram

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yesterday, I installed the patch from microsoft and rebooted. The system would not start. Error message was:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM"

It asked me to insert the original CD and attempt to repair.

Mine is a Compaq Desktop which came with XP pre-installed and 3 Quickrestore CDs (1-3)

When I insert these CDs, it warns that it will reinstall software on the machine as it was when it left the factory and that I would lose all data stored on the PC - I read more on this and looks like anything under "My Documents" would be gone.

Are there any avenues open for me? I have a laptop and so except for the data files, I dont mind reinstalling the stuff on the desktop.

I have tried all the modes in startup - such as safe mode, last know good config - nothing works.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Try a System Restore to before you applied the MS update.

Johanna

kram

kram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Johanna, I cannot get into windows XP at all and the Quick Restore disks do not give a System restore option - they will reset the s/w on the computer to how it was shipped out of the factory.

That I am told will delete all the files and folder in "My documents".

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
On the same screen that gives you the safe mode, last good config etc should be a System Restore option. You are correct- if you run those cds you will lose your Doc and data files.

Johanna

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What has happened here is that you have a corrupt registry...windows repair will not fix this one, I am afraid, since it will not build a registry the same way a fresh install will.

You can attempt to repair the registry following the procedures here:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Reading what you wrote earlier, you will need a recovery console option, which I suspect is not there on your system (though some system builders are installing it by default now, YEAH!

Anyway, download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
p.s.--read that link very carefully, if confused, ask questions. If that fails, and sadly, it fails about 50 percent of the time, there are other options.

If you can get your hands on a real windows xp disc, we can build a BartPE, and recover the data

If not, you can purchase a 2.5" harddisk enclosure for about $20, drop your laptop drive in it, and then attach the drive to another system via USB cable and get your data, then put the drive back in your laptop, run a repair, and then add the data back in whatever way works for you

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Don't take my words for it but I don't think it will wipe your data. What I would do is Email Compaq support team and ask them what will happen if you use their restore discs. Can't remember what system I had done on but if I'm not mistaken, it will only try to restore operating system and preinstalled programs. But CHECK WITH COMPAQ first since I not even remember what I had for dinner yesterday.

Edited by mcpscomp, 07 January 2006 - 10:12 AM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Bart PE is an excellent utility

I built myself a PE 3 weeks ago and keep it on a cd now, just in case.. It's very promising software, if something can do it, its definately Bart PE for this case.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
one needs a windows disk to create a bart pe...he does not have one,

As for destroying data....it depends. Most of the older programs wipe the drive and replace it bit by bit to put the PC in factory condition. Some newer ones will allowyou to restore system files older, called a non-destructive restore. This will often disable any new programs you installed, but leave data alone

kram

kram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Reading what you wrote earlier, you will need a recovery console option, which I suspect is not there on your system (though some system builders are installing it by default now, YEAH!
Anyway, download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Worked like a charm. Got me to the command prompt. Replaced the 5 files with the versions in the repair directory. Got into Xp and copied all the files.

Unfortunately, no restore points were available and so building the PC back from scratch.

Done with the SP2 update. Now I'm in the process of getting the PC to start running all the apps. Have deleted multiple apps as they refused to work, and reinstalled some crucial ones. I would say 75% of the job done.

Thanks a lot everyone - absolutely spot on diagnosis and solution.

Anything I should change in my windows settings at this stage to help me going forward? Any easy steps to restore apps on the PC that are not working?

cheers, Kram