Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless networking problems

• Please log in to reply

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I have a dell inspiron laptop and im am trying to network it up with my home pc i have bought a belkin wireless router and installed it. When my laptop loads up a message appers saying wireless network now connected after this i have the internet on my laptop but i dont seem to be able to share files, printers etc like i hoped. Ive been told i dont need any more software so can any help!!!!!!!

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello hendaz and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you,
in correctly setting up your File and Print Share Home Network.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print
Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently
Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?

6) What firewalls do you have running?

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

8) What is the model and manufacturer of all the printers you are wanting to Share?

9) Do you have the original installation disk for each and every printer you are wanting to
share?

10) Do you have the ability to write to a blank CD or 3 1/2 floppy (IE.. a CD burner in your
machine and few blank cd's or 3 1./2 Floppies[not a prerequisite just makes the setup a little
easier])

11) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File and Print Share Ability
for your network?

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-11 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME BETTER PROVIDE
YOU WITH A WALKTHROUGH ON HOW TO SETUP YOUR FILE AND PRINT SHARE
NETWORK .

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 11 January 2006 - 10:24 AM.

hendaz

hendaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi thanks for trying to help me, the answers to your questions are as follows:

1. On my laptop i have windows xp home edition with sp2 patch, on my pc i have windows xp professional with sp1 patch i think.
2. On my laptop i have a Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adaptor and on my pc i have a VIA Rhine || Fast Ethernet Adaptor.
3. I have a Wireless G Belkin router, model number F5D7230-4
4. Dont have a clue.
5. My antivirus software subscription just ran out so i dont have any antivirus.
6. I dont have any other firewall than windows firewall at the moment because my subscription ran out so i uninstalled them. However my router has a built in router.
7. I dont have any additional pop up blockers just the one built in with the internet.
8. I want to share a Lexmark X1180.
9.Yes i have the installation disc for my printer.
10. Both my pc and laptop have a cd rewriter and I have spare CDRW's.
11. I have click share printer and it seem to work i also have clicked share files on my computer these seem ok but i cant seem to get them to work on my laptop. I personally think either my pc or laptop needs a wireless network adaptor but i've been told i dont so i dont know.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Before we get Started, :tazz:

You Replied...
11. I have click share printer and it seem to work i also have clicked share files on my computer these seem ok, but i cant seem to get them to work on my laptop. I personally think either my pc or laptop needs a wireless network adaptor but i've been told i dont so i dont know.

From the desktop computer can you see files added to the shared folder (located at START, MY COMPUTER, SHARED DOCUMENTS) from the laptop. <Labelled Reply 1>

From the Laptop, repeat same steps as above. <Labelled Reply 2>

Or that you can physically see the laptop (TO SEE IT GO TO:) START, MY COMPUTER. MY NETWORK PLACES, VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS and reply with all PC's listed in here or any error messages you get <Labelled Reply 3>.

repeat the same procedures for the Laptop and add them in your reply also please, so we can see where we need to go in the troubleshooting area or Network installation area <Labelled Reply 4>.

For the desktop, go to START, CONTROL PANEL, PRINTERS AND OTHER HARDWARE, PRINTERS AND FAXES, List all devices in here and whther or not they have a Black checkmark next to them and also a Little hand under them <Labelled Reply 5>.

For the Laptop, go to START, CONTROL PANEL, PRINTERS AND OTHER HARDWARE, PRINTERS AND FAXES, List all devices in here and whther or not they have a Black checkmark next to them and also a Little hand under them <Labelled Reply 6>.

hendaz

hendaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Well basically what i ment by number 11 was that when i clicked the files and printer on my pc they got the hand underthem to show that they were shared but when i'm on my laptop i just cant seem to link up with my pc. I think this might be because the computers dont appear to be networked together as under my network places both computers arent there. I'm really no good with this networking thing?? :tazz: :)

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Thats what I needed to know. Thanks. :tazz:

We will start with the basic Network Setup wizard that will be ran on both computers.

XP Network Setup Wizard Steps 1-25

1. Double click My Computer icon
2. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
3. Under "Network Tasks" select the "Set up a home or small office network" link
4. When the Network setup wizard appears click "Next"
5. When the second page appears click "Next"
6. When the third Page appears select the "Other" bubble and click "Next"
7. When the fourth page appears select the bubble "This computer connects directly or through a network Hub. Other computer on my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub."
8. When the fifth page appears under "Computer description" type in XP PRO, Computer name XP PRO and click "next"
9. When the sixth Page appears under "workgroupe name" type in: namegroup - insert your last name in the namegroup and click "next"
10. When the seventh page appears select the "Turn on File and Print Sharing" Bubble and click "next".
11. When the warning comes up asking if your sure you want to turn on file and print sharing just select "yes".
*NOTE* If you do not want to create a self install disk for additional PC's skip the following steps and proceed to Step 11a through 11c at the end of this page.
12. When the seveth page appears click "Next".
13. When the eigth page appears under "What do you want to Do?" Select the "Create a Network Setup Disk" bubble and click "next".
14. When the ninth page appears select the "Format Disk" Button
15. When the format 3 1/2 Floppy (A:) screen appears just click "start"
*NOTE* If you get a warning that says formatting will erase all data - this means it will erase all data on the floppy disc - not on your hard drive
16. When it is done select "ok" then hit the "x" to close out the format screen... this takes you back to page nine and select "next".
17. Now you will a screen that shows files being copied... just wait till its done and you will be automatically sent to screen 10. Just click on "next".
18. When the eleventh page appears just click "finish".
19. Now restart your machine
20. Now go to the next computer and complete the Following

Additional Pc Setup
21. Insert the disk in the A drive
22. Double click the "my computer" icon
23. Select open network setup disk
24. double click "netsetup"
25. If the PC is unable to read the disk then just repeat steps 1-11 and include the following steps after steps 1-11 have been completed:

11a. When the next page appears select the bubble for "Just finish the wizard" and click on "Next"
11b. When the next screen appears just select "Finish"
11c. Now reboot your PC

-------------AFTER ALL THESE STEPS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED-------------

...Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
...Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
...Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
...After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the additional computers you added are not showing up then reply back and we will find out what is blocking your file share (usually a third party vendor firewall, Antivirus program, or security software).

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 11 January 2006 - 10:26 AM.

hendaz

hendaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
thanks for that,
well i still have a problem when i done this i had the usb plug from my printer plugged into my laptop and therefore the network thought thats were the printer would be but i really want the printer connected to my pc. So i tried to redo these steps because the printer wasnt working and now nothing works even though the file sharing was working before. ??????????

hendaz

hendaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
HELP ANYONE ?????

hendaz

hendaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Anyone know what to do ?????

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry so long on the reply Hendaz... My PC crashed and I had to reformat, repartition and reload windows. Still trying to get everything back.

Troubleshooting time now...

FOR PC1 AND PC2

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in Services.msc
Scroll Down to the entry: Computer Browser
Under Status it should say STARTED, and under Startup it should say AUTOMATIC
If it doesnt Right Click it and select PROPERTIES
Click the Start Button and Select Automatic from the Startup Type dropdown Box
Close the screen when your Done
Scroll Down to Server
If it doesnt Right Click it and select PROPERTIES
Click the Start Button and Select Automatic from the Startup Type dropdown Box
Scroll Down to Internet Connection Firewall
If it does Right Click it and select PROPERTIES
Click the Stop Button and Select Disable from the Startup Type dropdown Box
Close the Services Screen Now.
Open My Documents in Windows Explorer. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then .........click Windows Explorer
Click the folder you want to share.
Click Share this folder in File and Folder Tasks.
In the Properties dialog box select the radio button Share this folder to share the folder with other users on ........your network
NOW RESTART YOUR COMPUTER
MAKE SURE THE ABOVE STEPS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED ON BOTH PC'S BEFORE MOVING ON

FOR PC1 AND PC2

Click on Start
Click on My Computer
Click on My Network Places
Click on View Workgroup Computers
List all Pc's Listed in here <REPLY>
Close out that screen
Click on Start
Click on Netwok Connections (depending if your using classic view or not, but this is where you need to end up at)
Right Click on you connection device (NIC)
Select Properties
Select the General Tab
Under the Square "This connection uses the following items:" list all items that are checked and unchecked:" .........<REPLY>

Post your replies as directed in the Steps.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Well after i done the first section of what you told me to do my network suddenly worked, now i can print and share files, thanks a lot you've been a great help. :) :tazz:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hope your still around Hendaz We arent done here.... Sorry so long on the reply Again. I CRASHED AGAIN :tazz:

All we did was disable all your startup items... we need to make sure your firewall is correctly configured along w2ith your antivirus so you dont get any nasty infections... as they are currently disabled?

hendaz

hendaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
O.K Im still here.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Alright Lets find out what is blocking you:

1. Click on Start
2. Click on Run
3. Type in: msconfig
4. Click on the SERVICES tab (we are also going to be using the STARTUP tab)
5. Make sure there is NO CHECK In the "HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES TAB"

Screenshot Time

A. With the SERVICES tab on the top of all other windows
B. Press the PRINT SCREEN SYSRQ key on your Keyboard
C. Open Microsoft Paint (located in Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint)
D. when the program launches, on the Left toolbar click on the Square made of dashes
E. Now position your cursor (which has become a cross) out in the white area of the canvas
F. Right Click and select PASTE
G. This will put an image of the System Configuration Utility on the canvas
H. Click the FILE button in the upper left section of the screen and select SAVE AS
I. In the Save As Box Put whatever you want in the Filename Box
J. In the Save As Type box: Click the drop down menu and select JPEG
K. In the Save In Box (Very Top): Select your desktop
L. Click the Save Button
M. Go back to your Web browser and post a reply. In the reply Page after the area where you enter your text there is a File Attachments area. ]
N. Click the Browse Button and navigate to the file we just saved on the desktop.
O. Select that file and click the Open Button
P. Click the ADD THIS ATTACHMENT BUITTON
Q. Then scroll down a little further and click the ADD FILE INTO POST button.
R. this will put some text into the post similiar to this: [attachmentid:1234321

Repeat these Screenshot posting steps as many times as neccessary to SHOW all the items listed in the SERVICES Tab and STARTUP tab of the System Configuration Utility, so we can find out what is blocking you.

hendaz

hendaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
On both computers ???