Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I JACKED UP MY COMPUTER AND CAN'T USE THE INTERNET

• Please log in to reply

m5fromns

m5fromns

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
So today I was working on my computer, my norton antivirus expired and so I bought a new one. Well it wouldn't renew my subscription so I read on a website that you need to clear norton out of your registry. So I followed the directions and ever since I did that when I open a webpage it goes to a screen that says:

ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved
-----------------------------------------------

The following error was encountered:

- Cache Access Denied

Access control configuration prevents this request.

On top of that I get a similar message when I try to run live update. I have the computer hooked up to a linksys router with high speed internet. Please help.

Mike :tazz:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Could you be a little more specific about:
"need to clear norton out of your registry. So I followed the directions"

Also, are you saying that you cannot access certain webpages, or that you can't get online period?

Johanna

m5fromns

m5fromns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I clicked Start > Run > regedit > Edit > Find > Norton --- Then deleted everything that came up then I did the same thing for the word Symantec and Systemworks and deleted everything that came up in the search. I can't get online period, it appears to be connected but no matter what address I type in it just displays a page that says:

- Cache Access Denied

I am using my other computer to get online for help.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Usually it is best to uninstall Norton from Add Remove, or following specific instructions from Symantec's site. It is not surprising you can't get online.

Disconnect all peripherals, and do any critical back ups. Reinstall everything "Norton" you just "deleted" overtop of itself, and reboot when prompted, and once more for good measure. Contact Symantec support if you paid for an AV renewal subscription that won't work. Post back with your progress.

Johanna

m5fromns

m5fromns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Usually it is best to uninstall Norton from Add Remove, or following specific instructions from Symantec's site. It is not surprising you can't get online.

Disconnect all peripherals, and do any critical back ups. Reinstall everything "Norton" you just "deleted" overtop of itself, and reboot when prompted, and once more for good measure. Contact Symantec support if you paid for an AV renewal subscription that won't work. Post back with your progress.

I did uninstall using add/remove programs and when I installed my new one the subscription dates were the same. Sadly, when I went to restore back to before I made the mistake the system restore failed and said it could not restore back to the point because of errors. I installed norton but it gives me a error message saying something similar to the cache access denied when I try to access live update. Is there anyway of restoring back even though it wouldn't work the tradtitional way?

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

I clicked Start > Run > regedit > Edit > Find > Norton --- Then deleted everything that came up then I did the same thing for the word Symantec and Systemworks and deleted everything that came up in the search. I can't get online period, it appears to be connected but no matter what address I type in it just displays a page that says:

- Cache Access Denied

I am using my other computer to get online for help.

most likely you deleted something you weren't supposed to such as a system registry file which can permanently damage your system.

I'm not sure how to fix that because the basic rule of registry editing is to don't delete anything unless you have specific instructions.

Edited by Numb Remxed, 07 January 2006 - 12:55 PM.