Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows virtual memory problem?

• Please log in to reply

liam71

liam71

• Pip
  • 2 posts
All sorts of problems with my computer. Firefox takes ages to open, and I can't seem to get Windows to shut down at all! Have a feeling that it may be related to start-up (CPU running at 100% - is that normal?) and have occasioanlly received a message saying that the Windows virtual memory iss too low. Any ideas? Have various anti-virus prpgrammes so don't think it's a case of the computer being infected.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you have not visited the malware forum, you might want to try there

malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

TYou might also check to see if you have enough hardware space and that the pagefile was not set to a static size

Right click MY COMPUTERS< chosse PROPERTIES, choose the ADVANCED tab, choose the SETTIUNGS button in the PERFORMANCE section, choose the ADVANCED tab (again), then choose CHANGE under VIRTUAL MEMORY, and check SYSTEM MANAGED SIZE

liam71

liam71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for that. I do have AVG anti-virus as well as a firewall, but now I can't seem to download Spybot sd - maybe the mirror site isn't working, as it just keeps telling me no connection can be established. How do I try and use another mirror site without sarting the process all over again.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

All sorts of problems with my computer. Firefox takes ages to open, and I can't seem to get Windows to shut down at all! Have a feeling that it may be related to start-up (CPU running at 100% - is that normal?) and have occasioanlly received a message saying that the Windows virtual memory iss too low. Any ideas? Have various anti-virus prpgrammes so don't think it's a case of the computer being infected.

Hope u arent running more than one Antivirus program on the system, it can hog system resources, AVG is good. Also disable all unnecessary items from startup. you can bring up the task manager to see whts taking up resources. Also bfore you increase the page file size, run a disk cleanup and defragment. This will also help to speed up things. How much memory and HDD space u got?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
spybot