Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - My Sound Schemes Aren't Working

• Please log in to reply

PFDurand35

PFDurand35

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
As of yesterday, the sound on my computer has stopped working. I run Window XP Home. I use a pair of powered Sony desktop speakers. My Windows Media Player version 10 works fine and I can still listen to music (am doing so now). But my e-mail notification wav and start up and shut down wav files no longer play. I went into my device manager and all my sound devices are reported to be enabled and working properly. All volume levels are up and mute has not been selected on anything. I'm at a loss.
I use Outlook Express as an e-mail program and Mozilla Firefox as a browser, not that I would think that either of these would have any affect on the sound schemes of my PC. The only other recent change I have made was the installation of Skype.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
START > CONTROL PANEL > SOUNDS, choose sound tab

You can choose a default SOUND SCHEME here, or scroll the list and make your own, forexample, choose EMAIL NOTIFICATION, then browse for a wave file

PFDurand35

PFDurand35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've tried that. Still nothing. When I select wav files already assigned to program events and press the play triangle to sample them, I get nada.