Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Command prompt problem

• Please log in to reply

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I am having a problem with windows command prompt. Nothing works. i get a message that te command is not recognized.
for example I just typed ping and ipconfig got the error.

I:\Documents and Settings\ANDREW>ping 192.168.0.4
'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

and

I:\Documents and Settings\ANDREW>ipconfig
'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Why doesn't it work?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy Andybikecrazy...

Are you trying this using the "Run" feature from the Start Menu? If so, try it from a command window. Click Start, then Run, and type cmd...click "Ok". Try your commands in the resulting window.

wannabe1

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
If you are running from the command prompt screen - check you path and see if it contains C:\windows\system32

Fay

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
try going to start, all programs, accersiores, command prompt, type /ping or ping ip or just ping.

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
wannabe1, thats how I did it. I typed cmd in the rn window and then typed ping in the black command prompt box.

fay47, I don't see C:\windows\system32 in the path. I posted what i pasted from the command prompt in my first post. my path was I:\Documents and Settings\ANDREW>

Agentx2, I tried going to command prompt from all programs> accessories. Still didn't work.

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Since it isn't in your path, try changing your current directory to: C:\windows\system32 and then see if you can execute the commands.

Fay

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Andybikecrazy,

I just went back and looked at you last post again. I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I wasn't asking you about the current directory, but what the path was set to. From the command prompt do a Path command. It should return something like:
C:\windows\system32;C:windows;c:\Program Files

The above is just a partial example. It is the path the system will go thru looking for executable files if the file is not in your current directory.

For me ping.exe is in C:\windows\system32.
I have to have it in my path or have it is as my current directory to execute the Ping command - or execute the ping command like this: c:\windows\system32\ping

Fay

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
command prompt may be running in the background which could be why it is not coming up right try a restart then press ctrl-alt-delete when it comes back up and look to see if it is running under the processes tab. then try running it from my directions.

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
fay47, I am not ver good with the command prompt. I tried cd which I though changed directeries, but it didn't do anything.

Agentx2, I restarted and I do not see cmd in the processes under task manager.

this a really puzzeling problem that is bugging me. :tazz:

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
look for the program called crapcleaner and try looking for your hd right click it and go to properties, then go to the tools tab and go to check now and click in both boxes the yes then restart comp.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Andybikecrazy!

Download FIXPATH2.ZIP. Extract the files to a folder in C:\, like C:\FIXPATH2.

RUNNING THE PROGRAM:
  • Open a command prompt window, navigate to the location where the FIXPATH.EXE file is located, and run FIXPATH.EXE.
  • It will display some preliminary information, and ask if it should continue.
  • If it successfully updates the Path value in the registry, you will need to
    reboot for the change to take effect.
If you have any questions about what this is doing, then make sure you read the FIXPATH.TXT file that was included in the zip file you downloaded and should now be located in C:\FIXPATH2, or whatever folder you extracted it to.

Fenor

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Agentx2, I have used the program called Ccleaner which I think is the same thing.

Fenor, I cannot navigate to the folder where I downloaded that program too because ANYthing I type in command prompt gives me the error I posted above. For example when I entered help I got this:

I:\Documents and Settings\ANDREW>help
'help' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

I:\Documents and Settings\ANDREW>

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fenor's program does not need to be run through the command prompt...download it to your desktop, extract it, then double click it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I should add, double click FIXPATH>EXE

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok I did that. I saw the command screen flash but nothing else happend.