Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Happen to the space in my HD

• Please log in to reply

dude...

dude...

• Pip
  • 9 posts
After I reinstall window xp, I only got 11 GB left and my harddrive is 50 gb. I tried using tools to find where all my space goes but then it doesnt show it. Can someone tell me how I can find where all the space went? Thanks in Advance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Sounds like you may have re-installed a second copy of XP, leaving the original copy still on the disk instead of overwriting it. This doesn't happen if you re-install using a Recovery Disk supplied with a new XP PC, but can happen if you use a 'proper' Microsoft Windows XP CD if you don't choose the right options. Have you noticed any new hard-disk drive letters appear in 'My Computer' since you re-installed, which weren't there before?

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
You may also have bad block or the NTFS/FAT is fubared. Try this:

In Explorer (right click on My Computer Click Explore)
Right click the hard drive (Normall C:)
Click Properties.
Click Tools.
First box should be error checking. Click check now and click both boxes to make a check mark appear. Go to sleep. This normally takes a WHILE!
Also, if you're running NTFS, XP will complain saying it needs priority access to the drive and asks you if you want to run scan on next boot up. Say yes. Reboot, then go to sleep/drink coffee/pet dog/pet cat/watch tv/play with kids. Whatever till it's done. If it finds any bad blocks it should report them.

Enjoy!

dude...

dude...

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: Thanks for the tip, ill try it out later.

dude...

dude...

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It didnt work even when I did the fix error thing. I did it 2 times and it dont work. Is there any thing I can do to get my space back?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First we need to know what's happened to it -- why the system isn't seeing all the hard disk space. Are you familiar with FDISK that you run from a startup-floppy? That will tell you exactly how the disk is divided up (partitions), and whether there's any upartitioned space. A Windows 98 boot disk is ideal for this. You can get one from www.bootdisk.com

Boot up with it to a DOS command prompt. Type FDISK then press[ENTER]. Choose from the menu the option to 'view partition information' .

dude...

dude...

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I did that and then it shows 1 partition 52489Mbyte 100%usage.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Download and run this. See if it helps to track down what's
using that 38GB you've 'lost'.

http://www.digallery.com/diskdata/

dude...

dude...

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It didnt say. I only see the few gb that I used.

Attached Thumbnails

• mycomp.JPG

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows is definitely aware that it's a 50 gig partition on C:, so it's not a system problem I don't think. Is the _RESTORE folder shown in the DiskData list, I don't see it, even though it's listing other 'hidden' folders. You can do a search for _RESTORE yourself if necessary, just ensure the search tool is configured to include hidden files and folders. That lost space is being used by something that's for sure.

Advertisements

dude...

dude...

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I cant find the _RESTORE Folder. I did a search for it and no result came up.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Sorry, there's no underscore (that's only in Windows ME). It's jut called RESTORE. However, it's a system folder which the search tool ignores by default. Open 'Search' tool, click on 'More Advanced Options' and enable 'Search System Folders' and 'Search Subfolders'. Type RESTORE at top and start search. Restore is located at C:\Windows\System32\RESTORE

dude...

dude...

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I found it, now what do I do?

dude...

dude...

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
should I just install a fresh copy of XP and will that delete everything?

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
when u found the folder right click on it and select properties it will say how much space that folder is occupieing