Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Biotar Motherboard Beeping; No Video display

• Please log in to reply

mr FixIt

mr FixIt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I am fixing a computer for my cousin and here is the problem. We have a Biostar M7NCD Motherboard. When you power up the computer, there is nothing displayed on the monitor (which i know works) and you just get a series of beeps. It will beep for about 1 second, and then be silent for about 3 seconds. I have counted these beeps and have counted up to about 15 before i decided it was useless.

This is what i have tried so far.

I have swapped out the video card with a video card that I know works.

I have disconnected EVERYTHING from the motherboard except the video card and memory and obviously the CPU.

There is currently 1-256 and 1-512 stick of memory in the motherboard. I have tried each chip separately in the motherboard with no success. In fact, when I take both chips out of the motherboard, I get the same results.

Each of these tests resulted in the same result. Like I said, there is no display on the screen with either video card that I tried. The board is out of warranty, so hopefully it is not that. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
i would say to check your PSU. make sure thats plugged in right and makes sure your mobo is getting what it needs. other than that i dont know

mr FixIt

mr FixIt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well this computer has been hooked up and working fine for about 2 years or so. So I don't think there are any loose connections. I just checked all the connections and they all seem secure. The fan on the CPU does spin when it powers up and the power supply fan moves air as well, so things should be hooked up correctly.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Get the motherboard manual and find out what those beep codes are , the beeps are the motherboard telling you whats wrong, the maual should be available from the biostar website.

mr FixIt

mr FixIt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I looked through the manual from here http://www.biostar-u...asp?model=M7NCD and was unable to find anything. All the places i read online said things like "10 beeps and the board is bad" or something like that. But i didn't see anything for a motherboard that just continually beeps.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the motherboard beeping is quite like morse, there should be ab error code list for that motherboard somewhere.

If its the motherboard thats naffed it usually just doesnt beep at all. What you can try is to swap out as much of the components as you can for stuff that you know works.

Was there a power surge before the computer stopped working.

mr FixIt

mr FixIt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Any suggestions as to where i can find out what this beeping means. I let it go until about 30 or so beeps before i turned it off. As for swapping out components, I just swapped out the Power supply and got the same results. So the only thing that i haven't replaced is the CPU and the motherboard. These are 2 things that i can't really replace, so i am getting close to pronouncing this thing dead!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if google cant help and you cant swap out the cpu with anything even if its just to try it and put it back, biostar isnt the most reliable of manufacturers though so i would probably say its the mobo.

Short of you finding out what the beep code means from either an online resource or if someone on here has had this problem before on here.

I would get googling its probably your most likely chance is to find someone with the same problem that had that beep code and did swap out the cpu and that way you know which it is.