Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

task manager won't stay open

• Please log in to reply

MJH1026

MJH1026

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
when i press ctrl alt delete, task manager opens for a second then closes. the only way for me to open it is by going to the system32 folder and making a new copy of task manager in a new folder and renaming task manager to task manager.com. i ran the program start up list and heres what it showed:
StartupList report, 1/7/2006, 3:59:04 PM
StartupList version: 1.52
Started from : C:\DOCUME~1\Mikey\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 3 for startuplist1521.zip\StartupList.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\DOCUME~1\Mikey\LOCALS~1\Temp\MSI12B.tmp
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin Mouse 1.0\MOUSE32A.EXE
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winslogin.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Philips Photo Manager\FunCam\Philips FunCam Monitor.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Mikey\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 3 for startuplist1521.zip\StartupList.exe

now from what i understand, none of those programs are any kind that would be causing this. i ran McAfee virus scan, SpyBot S&D, and Microsoft SpyWare and deleted any viruses/spywares that showed up. what is going on here? i've been trying to figure this out for days.......PLEASE HELP!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

MJH1026

MJH1026

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
nope, nothing, still the same problem even after reboot. this is really driving me nuts. anything else?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run through this then run the system file check again, if it still has not changed you can repair XP

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

MJH1026

MJH1026

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i couldnt find a Disk Cleanup in the Tune Up program so i ran the Windows Disk Cleanup but i also cant find a registry cleanup in Tune Up. where are these things?

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Click the Clean Up & Repair button.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
MJ, I know you tried some self malware clean up, but this screams malware infection.

Have you followed all the instructions and posted a log in malware.

I do not like the looks of this

MSI12B.tmp

MJH1026

MJH1026

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
MSI12B.tmp

is that a bad file or something?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it seems to be a randomly generated file name

I would end the process if you can and see if task manager opens. Certain malware programs are designed to close task manager so you cannot see them and disable them. What you describe sounds like one of these,

MJH1026

MJH1026

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i ended that process but still no difference. is there maybe any way i can get my computer back to the way it was when i first bought it, with no programs or files on it and just start from scratch again and reinstall windows. would that get rid of the bad files i have on here?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You usually do not need to do that.

Please, go to the malware forum, follow all the instructions and then post a hijackthis log...if the problem persists after they say you are clean, then come back to this thread and we will either help you with that or solve the issue.

Honestly, this is a common malware issue that may not be showing in the process starter you are showing

MJH1026

MJH1026

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok i think i may have found the problem but i need your advice.....

i ran Tune Up start up manager and this file showed up twice:

Report details:
File name: winslogin.exe
Arguments: -
File path: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Start location: Registry\All Users\Run
Currently running: Yes
Information from manufacturer:
Description: -
Product name: -
Manufacturer name: -

the second one:

Report details:
File name: winslogin.exe
Arguments: -
File path: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Start location: Registry\Current User\Run Once
Currently running: Yes
Information from manufacturer:
Description: -
Product name: -
Manufacturer name: -

it says its a microsoft app. but its unknown to TuneUp so im thinkin this could possibly be the problem. if so, how do i go about getting rid of it???

MJH1026

MJH1026

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i got it! winslogin.exe!!!! i ended that process and my task manager finally started working normally! it looks like it tries to imitate the winlogon.exe program which is an important Windows verification file! i cant beleive after all this it was that easy! so do you kno how i can go about completely removing this irritating file from my computer?

Edited by MJH1026, 07 January 2006 - 05:36 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Send it to the recycle bin and reboot

If you get access denied, use tune up start up manager and remove the tick then reboot, then send the file to the bin then reboot, if the PC runs OK then you can leave the file in the bin

Then, to check everything

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

MJH1026

MJH1026

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok great the file is gone and no more task manager problems!!! wow! thanks for all your help this problem was driving me insane. thanks again

-Mike