Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

" Msoobe "

• Please log in to reply

mate

mate

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi.

So, after starting from the bottom, ie; deleting both my hard drives; partitioning; formatting; and then reinstalling win98se, i have also defragged my drives and the system boots fine (just like a bought one) and i am on the desktop with all my icons intact until...

I click on "connect to the internet" in the hope that i am now going to set up an internet connection (as my modem has been installed at this point), but instead of joy i get this message "Msoobe: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

...in the 'details' under the message i see "MSOOBE caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:00000009." plus a list of registers??

I'm stumped guys, any help would be great...

thanks.

Advertisements

mate

mate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oops

should add that this is win98se...

sorry :tazz:

mate

mate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Grrrr,

It gets worse...all icons on desktop are saying the same thing!

Q: Does MSOOBE stand for Muthaf$#$king Son Of an Outstanding B#$@ch! Eh?

Gotta laugh or I'll cry...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Actually, msoobe.exe is the Windows XP Product Activation process that manages the online registration of license key. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Just wondering why this file would be on a Win98SE system??

Murray

mate

mate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thankyou Murray,

From the beginning...I inherited this comp which was a company owned unit with XP pro installed and registered to the company. I uninstalled the o/s and deleted all from the drives, repartitioned and then reformatted. I also flashed the bios to the latest version compatible with my hardware according to manufacturers specs and so am sitting here with a clean system.
I then installed win98se and began downloading and installing the programs that I wanted to run (all was going great and the comp was responding perfectly) until I realised (in the latter stages of this process) that I didnt want some of these programs after all. And so I thought I would be clever and go back to the beginning and do it all again (practice makes perfect) and again I uninstalled my o/s, repartitioned and formatted my drives...

Finally I came back to where I am now: 98se is installed and all of its icons are on the desktop but when I click on ANY one of them I get the message as described in original post...

I am now totally confused and am pricing a new o/s but I wopuld hate to think that I let this %$#^#$@ beat me, so if u have any more ideas I would greatly appreciate them...

Thanks again.

mate

mate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
In answer to my own probs for the benefit of future headscratchers...

I reinstalled win98se over itself from the CD (without uninstalling it first) and it came up clean like a bought one :)

TIP: After searching for alternate operating systems (in the interim), I am currently downloading a free 'distribution' of Linux that will suit my own hardware (to use as a back up for the next time Microsoft gets too hard to cope with 'cos I just know that day is coming). I advise anybody who is over Microsoft and their inferior products to move forward (rather than go 'round in circles until u upgrade to there next fault filled package) and try a few of the other o/s's out there...

Happy hunting
:tazz: