Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can OPEN WITH lists be edited in Registry

• Please log in to reply

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I assume the OPEN WITH lists for various file types are located in the Registry - can they be located and edited? I have some with duplicate listings and one where two different program versions are named the same. I'd like to fix this.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is this the default choices, the ones you see at the top of a context menu, or the list after you click CHOOSE PROGRAM

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
The default choices at the top of the right-click menu.

(I would also be interested in knowing how to add a program to the choose program list.)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
programs will add to the list if you use CHOOSE PROGRAM, and BROWSE to a program and select it once. It should stay in the list...do not choose ALWAYS USE THIS PROGRAM if you only want it in the list.

The default ones are determined by the TYPE of file it is, so they are spread all over the registry

So, for example, let's say you have opened a registry file with NOTEPAD in the past and you don't want to do that anymore

Open the registry editor and navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.reg

you will find a key called OPEN WITH

right click and delete NOTEPAD in the right window and it will be gone