Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ps2 wireless online help

• Please log in to reply

screamineagle3000

screamineagle3000

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi I am having trouble setting up my wireless interent to my Ps2 online.

Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

froggingbob

froggingbob

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello scremineagle3000

You need to add more information about your particular problem.

I probably wont be able to help you myself, but with more information it would be a lot easier.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Playstation 2s dont generally come with wireless adapters so that may be your problem.

screamineagle3000

screamineagle3000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
more info- i have the ps2 network adapter, a linksys wireless g router and a linksys wireless game adapter and i can't get online with my ps2

froggingbob

froggingbob

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi again,

first of all, how powerful is the ps2 wireless adapter? a simple problem is that the signal might not reach it. If you are sure that its close enough to make a connection do the following:

1. connect the ps2 wireless adapter into the computer, not the router, the computer. insert the cd that the ps2 wireless adapter should have come with and wait for it to autoplay. there should be a setup feature. once on the setup you will need to fill in all the information ie. ip address and SSID. you should also need your wep key if you use wep so get this before u start.
you could on the other hand click on obtain ip address automatically however sometimes this doesnt work, i spent a hours trying to configure my linksys wireless adapter. i had to phone up linksys support, they were quite helpful, if this doesnt work i would do the same.

2. after doing all the setup, unplug your wireless adapter and plug the router back in. plug the wireless adapter into the ps2 and run the network access disk thing that came with the ps2 network adapter. go through all the setup thing with this and test the connection, hopefully everything will be good.

hope this helps. write back soon with your progress.

p.s if you need your ip address or gateway stuff, make sure the router is plugged into the computer and go START > RUN then type cmd and press enter. when the black thing comes up, type ipconfig. this should give you the relevant data. for your wep key, type the ip address of the router into internet explorer address bar, this should take you to your router setting page place. just go to wep.

Edited by froggingbob, 08 January 2006 - 12:19 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.amazon.co...7985178-6461262 is this it.

From what ive read the PS2 network adapter isnt wireless, its wired you need to connect it directly into the back of the router with some CAT5 ethernet cable.

Although maybe sony make a wireless one and you have it, i just cant find it.

http://www.amazon.co...4417610-1712668

I also found this short guide do you have all the equipment it mentions.

froggingbob

froggingbob

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I did my network with just the PS2 network adapter, the PS2 wireless adapter and the home network that was already set up. All the cables that i needed came with the adapters. what i have said to do is just what i did, and i had a PS2 linksys wireless adapter so it should be the same.

http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=51512

by the way, this site ^ has a ps2 wireless adapter, this actually the one i have all connected up and working. and sony dont make a wireless one, i looked but couldnt find one anywhere.

Edited by froggingbob, 08 January 2006 - 01:01 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats quite alot of money just to do away with a couple of metres of cat 5, does the network adpater work properly when its wired straight into the router, just to see if we can isolate the problem to the bridge or the adpater.

screamineagle3000

screamineagle3000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey,

When I connect directly to the router it works fine, so im not quite sure what's wrong

screamineagle3000

screamineagle3000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Also,

Where do u find your the ssid ??? i am having trouble finding it

Advertisements

froggingbob

froggingbob

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hmmmm...

to warriorscot, my ps2 is in like a converted garage place, which is outside. The only way to get to it is outside, therefore having a wired network would be a bit of a mission. also, what is the bridge?

----------------------------------------------

to screamineagle, im not 100% sure where u can find you SSID. when you first made your network you make the SSID. i think the default SSID is the make of the router ie. NETGEAR or LINKSYS. however im not sure. try gettin to the router setting page like i said earlier, theres a ot of info on that page and i wouldnt be surprised if you stumble accross your SSID.

hope you find it.

Edited by froggingbob, 08 January 2006 - 02:37 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The bridge is the wireless network adapter, its another name for it because it is acting as a bridge to the connection.

froggingbob

froggingbob

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I see, thank you.

screamineagle3000

screamineagle3000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hye, i found my ssid but it still did not work

froggingbob

froggingbob

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
If you've tried putting in all the information on the wireless adapter setup and it doesnt work, check the 'obtain ip address automatially' button thing. double check all the informaton that you have input, especially the wep key, or passphrase. on the ps2, any settings that gives you the option to obtain automatically, check them.
If this still doesnt work i would just call linksys support. the ps2 wireless adapters are crap, its so hard to configure it all because you have to transport the device from the computer to the ps2 and its just a pain in the [bleep]. however it can be done, and once this is accomplished ps2 online is brilliant.
If you dont fancy calling linksys support, try another forum. im not actually very good at this stuff, the only way i know what ive said is because ive experienced the same problem myself.

Well good luck with it. If you do get it online, buy Battlefied 2:Modern Combat. it is a brilliant online game and the single player isnt too shabby either. its also real cheap in the january sales, i got it for £20. if your budget is even small try Killzone. its good for a beginner online player.