Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

locking the "on resume display welcome" box

• Please log in to reply

howarddan

howarddan

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
when my kids get onto the computer, they uncheck the box that brings up the welcome screen and requires a password. that means once we let them on, they can get on anytime. Is there a way to prevent them from access to the control panel, or to the screen saver options, or to freeze this box with the check always there?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you already set their accounts as limited and set a password for the administrator account (If you lose the administrator password you would most likely have to re-install Windows)

The limited account is intended for someone who should be prohibited from changing most computer settings and deleting important files. A user with a limited account:

Cannot install software or hardware, but can access programs that have already been installed on the computer.

Can change his or her account picture and can also create, change, or delete his or her password.

Cannot change his or her account name or account type. A user with a computer administrator account must make these kinds of changes.

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I tried giving them a limited account, but a limited account still allows them to get to the control panel, the display button and the screen saver page, wher they can disable the password required box.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start then control panel, performance and maintenance, administrative tools, computer management, local users and groups, users, double click their accounts to check it is set so that they cannot change the password

You also need to log off to clear the administrator rights then let them log on

Or have you done this also :tazz:

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes, did that too. but they don't change the password, they just uncheck the box so the welcome screen never comes back up and no password is needed to stay on indefinitely.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm confused, what you are talking about is the screen saver password used to lock a workstation...I think

It is not the password for the account...well, it is the same...do you and your kids have separate accounts?

What is the ultimate goal here, to prevent them from logging in or what.

I would think that if you have a seperate account with a separate password, you can log in and preven them from accessing your stuff. Or is there something more here I am missing

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Would this help

http://www.microsoft...s/overview.mspx

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yeah! the Toolkit is perfect. Thanks for solving a big headache.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know