Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has power but won't load windows.

• Please log in to reply

Spidar

Spidar

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Lately I've been having a problem while trying to play World of Warcraft in which the computer would randomly restart without warning. It said that it had something to do with the videocard so I opened my pc to make sure that it was in securely. After that, I turned on the power and while the fans on my computer and video card as well as the power lights on the PC were working, it would not continue to load onto windows. I tried switching out for a video card I knew was working but still had the same problem. The monitor would basically remain idle, but it wasn't saying that it was getting no video input. Furthermore, usually when my pc starts up I can hear the harddrive spinning, but this time nothing. I tried to boot up with my windows cd in there but the dvd roms drives wouldn't even open. I know this is a lot to take in, but I'm really confused as to what the problem may be and would appreciate any help I can get.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove all the power leads to the PC

Open the case and check you did not dislodge any other wires when you removed the card

Avoid touching metallic parts (to the point of not touching them)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
power supplies supply three different levels of voltage....12, 5, 3.3volts

Your motherboard will then adjust the levels required for various componants as needed

Sometimes, a power supply will partially die and your PC will appear to be starting, ie, the 12volts supplies anything with a motor so if you hear drives or fans spinning, it is working.

The 5 volt supplies the power switch and not too much else these days (used to supply the old video cards)

The 3.3 supplies voltage for CPU, RAM, motherboard, lights, etc.

So, your 3.3 rail could have blown and this would manifest itself as you describe...it may only be supplying X volts which is enough to registered a signal, but not enough to start your video card.

The restarting would also agree with this scenario, as a power supply with irregular voltage can cause your system to reboot.

It could also be a blown cpu, which in some cases will pass power to the rest of the system, but won't do anything.

that video error info would help

Spidar

Spidar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I can't remember the exact error info, but it said that I should update my video drivers, which I did, or check that everything is fit securely, which I also did.

So I guess it's the power supply from the looks of it. I'll probably borrow a friend's power supply to see if it helps. Is there anything else that can be suggested in case the new power supply does not solve the problem?

Spidar

Spidar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I forgot one more part, my reset button didn't work at all either if that helps anything.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did the reset button ever work? This is sounding more like a bad cpu, because I think the reset button works off the 5volt, which is working since pressing it tries to start the computer.

I would definitely borrow a PSU, though, since you can test a system without even installing it by just hooking the power supply to the motherboard and plugging it in and sitting it next to the pc case...you do not even have to remove the old psu to test.

Takes less than a minute to test a PSU

Spidar

Spidar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah, the reset button definitely used to work because I've used it a few times when the pc would freeze. I'm running a fairly good machine and its only about a year old so I'm suprised that cpu would crap out on me so soon.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
CPU will crap out if they are running too hot...a bubble in the heat-transfer compound will do it.

I'd test the power supply first though

Spidar

Spidar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
All right, I probably won't be able to get it tested today however, is there always someone on staff 24/7 or is there a peak hour that would be best to reply at?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, staff is kind of a pleasant thing we like to call ourselves :tazz:

We're all volunteers. I can say that there is almost always someone around....if you post and no one responds, feel free to PM me a heads up

Advertisements

Spidar

Spidar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was asking a friend about my problem and he asked if there were any beeps when the computer started up. So I checked this out, and there were no beeps which are supposed to correspond to a POST check. Is it probably that the computer doesn't even get to perform the POST check or is this indicative of something?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if the motherboard is not getting power (3.3 volt rail), you will not get beeps

If the CPU is dead, you will not get beeps

Spidar

Spidar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
All right thanks.

Spidar

Spidar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, new information. So I plugged the power supply of the broken computer into the one that I'm using to make this post, and it says that the operating system was not found. I plug in the normal power supply for this computer and now I'm making this post. Conclusion: my power supply is broken for the other PC? - or am I assuming too much?

Spidar

Spidar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Another note, it was sitting idle like the broken PC did. I didn't check if the drives worked because I forgot.