Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help configuring my sata devices, 2 hdd, 1 cd/dvd-rw

• Please log in to reply

Dewman

Dewman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am currently running a sata hdd as my master in sata port 1, 1 ide/atapi hdd with a sata converter as a slave on sata port 2, and I just bought a sata cd/dvd-rw connected to sata port 3 and I am having problems. In the bios the cd/dvd-rw is not being recognized, and when booting the process hangs at "verifying dmi pool"........I would greatly appreciate any assistance out there....Thank you.

Dewey

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there Dewman

Could you tell you the make & model of your motherboard please?

Dewman

Dewman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, thank you......my mobo is an ABIT IC7-G

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you disconnect the CDROM drive, does the system boot normally?

Also, I noticed that there is a bios update available from Abit that provides SATA CDROM support in enhanced mode. This is bios revision 27 (date : 1st Nov 2004)

If your bios is older than this, you may need to flash it.

Dewman

Dewman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am running the most current BIOS version....

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thats good. What about if you disconnect the CDROM drive completely. Does the system start normally then?

Dewman

Dewman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, when the cd-rom is disconnected the system starts normally......

Dewman

Dewman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It seems that I have gotten things working.....I started out by disabling the sata rom feature in the bios which allowed the comp to boot and the cd/dvd-rom worked, however i tried to install a game and it wouldn't install. I did some research and determined that sata port controll for sata 1 and 2 is an intel control while sata port 3 and 4 are controlled by a separate controller.......now, when i built the comp i put my c hdd on sata port 1 and my d hdd sata port 2, and in the bios the were swapped in the ide channels but everything worked fine regardeless of the ide channel swap but i wanted to fix it as well as to get the cd/dvd-rom working properly. I began by unplugging all the devices and as I systematically determined which channel was which, sata port 2 turns out to be ide channel 1(hdd c), sata port 1 is ide channel 2(where I chose to put my cd/dvd-rom as a result of an app didn't load when the cd/dvd-rom was on port 3), and on sata port 3 is now living my d hhd.....the game loaded perfectly....and everything is working nice and smoothly.....

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You just beat me to it!
I've been reading the manual for your motherboard & was just about to suggest something very similar when I noticed your last post.

Glad you've managed to sort it out. :tazz:

Dewman

Dewman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It seems to me that there is an error in the documentation as that it seems that sata port 1 and 2 are switched....strange. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it, all the best.

Dewey