Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting

• Please log in to reply

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
i have a d-link wireless connection. when i upgraded from 98se to xp my internet was gone, it says i have connection but i dont get internet? the icon in the tray blinks for internet, but my internet wont connect to anything, no browsing or anything to do with internet. please help. thanks in advance

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Intenet Explorer, left click the address so it highlights blue then type 192.168.0.1 and press enter

You should get to the configuration page for the router

You may also need to click start, control panel, network and internet, network connections to add a new connection if the router is a new addition

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Open Intenet Explorer, left click the address so it highlights blue then type 192.168.0.1 and press enter

You should get to the configuration page for the router

You may also need to click start, control panel, network and internet, network connections to add a new connection if the router is a new addition

i dont know how to add a new connection, im stupid :tazz:

ive tryed reinstalling d-link but it has an error during installation, but i dunno if i need to reinstall it cus i have internet i think?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So, is it connected with a USB lead or with a network card and ethernet cable

Did you install the network card drivers from the D-Link CD

Have you got your ISP account details

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

So, is it connected with a USB lead or with a network card and ethernet cable

Did you install the network card drivers from the D-Link CD

Have you got your ISP account details

USB
Yes
no idea :tazz:

and how do i get on normal mode when you need to activate windows? it wont let me, i have to go on safe mode, but on safe mode it wont show internet properties and connections and all that. safe mode with networing doesnt work either

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is connected with a USB lead then the network card does not apply

If you click start then all programmes then accessories, is activate windows an option, or does it appear at the top of the all programme list

It should say about activating when you start windows, you can click activate because you can do it over the phone

Activation is the way forward here because safe mode does not load the modem drivers because they are not essential

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

If it is connected with a USB lead then the network card does not apply

If you click start then all programmes then accessories, is activate windows an option, or does it appear at the top of the all programme list

It should say about activating when you start windows, you can click activate because you can do it over the phone

Activation is the way forward here because safe mode does not load the modem drivers because they are not essential

its says i need to activate when i try to log on my account

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
And what happens if you click activate, if it says connect to internet, move the dot to activate by phone

As before, if it will only run safe mode, it won't be able to connect