Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Printer installation Problems, possibly software related

• Please log in to reply

Grabberlime

Grabberlime

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am attempting to install a new Brother Multifunction printer/scanner/fax, Model # MFC-210C.

I get 99% thru the installation & then get the following Ad Printer error message:

"Windows cannot locate any installed ports"

I had an initial problem with my computer not being able to find the USB connection but I downloaded a missing DLL file which allowed me to proceed to where I am at now. Brother have been of no assistance.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Are you installing all the software first BEFORE you connect the all-in-one??

Most hardware installs using USB show this as the recommended install procedure!!

Murray

Grabberlime

Grabberlime

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes I am. Followed installation instructions. It appears that the Brother is not recognizing the USB port that I am attempting to connect to. I have two USB's and same situation with both.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just for the heck of it, check your Device Manager to make sure USB is listed there and there are no yellow or red marks beside anything..

Also, go to the Printers and fax option in Control Panel.. Right click on the Brother and select "Properties"..

Now, check the "Port" connection being used and make sure it is set for the USB port assigned by the install..

Murray

Grabberlime

Grabberlime

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Murray,

device manager appears clear.

In printer properties, the only reference to the port is USB port (UNKNOWN). So it appears that the system cannot recognize the printer.

I have 2 USB connections, both are functioning when using my web cam.

I am not getting any error codes saying missing files etc as I did with the earlier mising DLL file.

Any other suggestions?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
While I take a look for a possible solution, have you checked the Brother website's FAQ's for a possible fix??

Murray

Grabberlime

Grabberlime

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've spoken to Brother at length on their help line.

The computer is simply not recognizing the USB port during install. When I go into Printer/properties as you suggested, it is coming up with USB (unknown). Brother say that it should say something about a virtual USB port. My previous printer was a parrell port and it is noted as LPT1.

I'm stumped

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you feel comfortable with it try going into Device manager and removing your USB ports..

Uninstall all printer related programs..

Now, with the printer unhooked from the system, reboot and re-install the USB connections..

Now, try the printer install..

BTW, clean out your temp folder as well..

Murray