Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP & HSP micromodem

• Please log in to reply

goozey

goozey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey now.

Win XP, AMD 2800, 1 gig ram... yada. I've got a PCI HSP56 micromodem - PCtel in the puppy... it's the only PCI card. sigh. i hate modems. Anyway... modem has been in machine for 2 years... works fine. Lately... the past 2 months it acts wonky.

Click 'dial' and i hear static in the modem/speakers... it dials, and gets a 'this number is not in service'. the dialup number is correct. there is no static in the phone line. It does this for ever... can't shake it. reboot - soft, hard. nada. Have removed, uninstalled, reinstalled, latest drivers, different cables, different phone jacks, on COM 3... nothing works.

turn the machine off, try it the next day... it dials up fine. Come back 4 hours later... i get the 'static'.

My PowerBook dials up just fine, all the time. the line is clean, the account settings correct.

Anyone ever seen this? My web searches turn up nothing.
g

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PC Tel modems can be tempermental little beasts. Best thing is to just buy a new modem because as you say, its just over two years old. Either that or shift to broadband as then you won't need a modem at all.. :tazz: