Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REMOVING AMD 64 X2 Heatsink Asus A8V motherboard

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I recieved for xmas a Asus A8V motherboard and I have recently bought a pricy AMD ATHALON 64 X2 Dual Core processor... and I need to know how to remove the processor after it is already installed... I need ot send th eMOBO back because it is faulty and I am going to order a completely different one...

Is there a procedure or any tips on how to remove it with that plastic bracket around it??? I need help... The RMA will be comming soon... andi only have a short time to figure this out.... Keep in mind this processor is 400$$$... please help...

O if you have suggestions on motherboards for a skt 939 athalon 64 X2 Dual core processor I would gladly take them... ($100 around there)

Also after removing the processor what do i do with everything... Do i have to remove the pad some how or what>>> what is the best way to do this and etc...

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Best way to do it is to release the catch on the heatsink and lift the lever and it will lift off exact oposite to how you put it in check the mobo manual, you will need to clean the pad off to install the HSF to another board and when you install that HSF you need new thermal material.

The best way for you to do this is to get arctic silver 5 thermal compund and the arctic cleaning kit.

I like the MSI neo4s and the ABIT nf4s are also good.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok... but doesnt the pad create a sort of glue or combining agent that sticks tot he cpu.... how do i life up wihtout damaging the cpu???... remember i have that plastic frame around my cpu to support the heatsink.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well as long as the thermal material was the stuff that was on the HSF when you got it assuming its a stock it just lifts off, if you used a different compound and it was a ceramic then you cant remove it but they dont use that kind of material very much anymore and you would have had to buy it specially.

That plastic frame also has a catch and release lever on it thats what you look for remember you had to clip it down when you installed it, you do the opposite you lrelease the catch and lift it up, you will need a flat head screwdriver to lever it off easily. Just follow the instructions for putting it on except backwards to remove it.

Im assuming you fitted this yourself, if you didnt do it yourself its probably a good idea to get the person that did it for you to remove it for you and reinstall it.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
O yeah... I installed it myself...This is my second build... well second build for myself... just never worked with this frame around th socket or a 64 bit cpu before.... And yes it is all stock... it was only the pad on the bottom of the heat sink...But... When i was checking for troubleshooting I was trying to move the CPU when it was unclamped and it didnt budge (I was checkign for heatsink instalation errors) I will try again... I was realy gental then... maybe it just needs a little force... If I cant get it out I will try a friend who is A+ certified and see what he thinks... (I would have asked him but he is realy my brother's friend... and i wanted to figure this out on my own.) And You said to use that special greece right? with the Kit?

O I also was looking at the ABIT Nforce 4... here check out this board and tell me what you think...if i get my motherboard sent back...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127221 (here is the rest I am getting with this motherboard>>>>http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812101121 (for my psu)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102575

http://www.isitoday....-AERO-X202.html (part of my problem is my video card ( it is a radeon 9600XT all in wonder, the TV and FM/AM tuner is very hard to fit in the case.... SOOO i had to bend it a lil bit... and bend it back... So i decided to get a new video card... would you let me know if that card is better than the 9600XT...

O... and is this the artic cleaner you are talking about....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100010

Will this remove that pad on the Heat sink... and do i have to apply anything to the processor???

Edited by strikermed, 08 January 2006 - 10:41 PM.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok... I just read up on the 2 Artic products that i linked in the previous reply...And I was wondering... Since I have a Thermal Pad... the wax will be melted between the processor and the heatsink... That is why it is difficult to remove... My quesiton is now... Do i use the cleaning products to remove it both from the heatsink and prcoessor... and if so how do i do it from the processor... the site wasnt very clear on that.... Second, Will I have to get a new heatsink since I have already used this one and the thermal pad is probably melted between the cpu and hsf??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can get a new hsf if you want but you dont need to, on removing the pad from the cpu, you ask how, the answer is very carefully if you know someone who is A+ certified i would talk to them for a bit they will probably be able to answer most of your questions in 15 minutes rather than the turnaround on here they dont have to do it but sometimes it easier to express yourself in words.

Are you remembering the little silver clips as well at the base of the HSF you need to use a screwdrivers to lift them off in the same way you used one to put it on.

Mobo is a good one from a quality brand nice choice, That gfx card is much much better than the one you have now, see if you can get hold of the GTO2 variant if you can usually isnt to much more but its really an underclocked x850 with a few of its pipelines disabled so its pretty fast when you tweak it, you can even flash it up to an x850 if youre brave enough. I would be careful putting it in the case, if you need to get it to fit, your better using a dremel and filing down the edges very carefully rather than bending it.

The pad melts but its not totally solid its a sticky goo substance thats why you need the solvent to get it off, AMD its not really a pad in the strictest sense its just a thick thermal grease.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Yeah... I talked to my friend today... He said that I just have to lift up and it should come right off...The Final 2 questions i have is..1. Do I use any of the romving solutions on the CPU? 2. (and this isnt much of a question) I have that new easy instalation bracket.... its is just a turn of a clip and realy easy to undo... rather than using a screw driver to lever the clips in place....Thanks for all the information... I have never had to remove a prcessor before... With my 2 builds that I have done... And I wanted to make it clear that the MOBO i have linked above is fully supportive of the X2 Dual Core.... And I think il try and look for that vid card that you suggested, but if i cant find it on 2 of my fav sites I prob wont buy it.... THANKS!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not sure what you mean by easy installation bracket, tell you what though im pretty sure on the amd website they still have videos on ho to install and i think remove the HSF and cpu, its for older chips but the process remains essentially unchanged and so the HSF mounting method, and the brackets its really quite simple to do like i said its the exact oppostire of how you put it on.

You use the solution on the cpu but sparingly and make sure its dry the arctic stuff is safe even if its gets into the pins and the socket by accident but i wouldnt like to try it. The cpu will have half of the material on it roughly it wont all come off on the heatsink or on the cpu its goo basically it acts gooey no better way to describe it im fairly certain you get all the insrtyuctions you need with the cleaning kit and the thermal material.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Thanks man I realy Appreciate the help... I think i have all the information i need... The only thing i am waiting for is ZipZoomFly's SLOW RMA Services... I just tried calling them and no one picked up... I left a message hopefully they get back to me... I guess I could close with one more question...Since the pad is more of a wax... would it be a good idea to run my computer for about 5 to 10 min to heat it up a lil bit then take it down and work on it?

O... I was also wondering... and i bet its a no braner... but is that vid card i sugested and the GTO version dual monitor support... and i am assuming it is because it has a dvi connecter and a vga.

Edited by strikermed, 09 January 2006 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is dual monitor support although not for the reason you suggest most cards even the single monitor versions have both, all the R4xx core cards from ATI as far as i know have dual monitor support.

Its not really a wax its still a grease, its gonna be quite gooey i wouldnt run the system it should just come off with the solvent.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Finally got that RMA response... ok... question... what do PCIe 1x slots do... and what can go in them???... I am pertty sure they dont make cards that fit in them... I read somthing about Raid for SATA drives... or USP 2.0... I dont know... enlighten me please!

by the way I am going to attempt to remove my prcoessor tonight... wish me luck.

Edited by strikermed, 10 January 2006 - 05:30 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are the replacement for PCI, you dont get much for them at the moment, as far as i know its just a few controller cards and some of the x-fi models of card although they may be for x4 slots.

Good luck itll be fine.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Thanks.... havnt started yet... doing a little research on my new hardware. I decided to go with a geforce card... my brother has the agp version of this card and I found that it will better fit my budget.

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=322696

It seemed to have a faster mem clock and core clock.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
mem clock and core clock arent that improtant, also there is a newer and cheaper version of that card called the GS, also 128Mb isnt alot of memory.The x800xl and 6800GT are equivalent cards in terms of perofrmance, and since the newer version of the GT are quite similar to the xl especailly with some overclocking i wouldnt change as the x800GT will be a better card than that one as it has more memory, im actually surprised you could find a 128meg version ive never seen one the didnt really make that many of them you dont spend all that money for a 128meg card.