Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory upgrade advice

• Please log in to reply

RichardB1

RichardB1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi guys, I have an ECS K7S5A motherboard and would like to replace the existing meagre 256mb PC133 RAM that I have. I've seen this memory going cheap, and wonder if it would definitely be compatible:

DDR 400Mhz Dimm 512MB

It says its PC133 compliant, but I'm really not sure. According to my m/board manual it can take 168/184 pin SDRAM/DDR SDRAM, but that's about all I know.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Every stick of memory that your board supports:

http://www.crucial.c......X)&submit=Go

Note that you cannot have SDRAM and DDR ram at the same time. That is to say, you can't have one stick from the top section and one stick from the bottom section in at the same time and expect it to run.

The stuff in the bottom section is faster and cheaper as I write this.

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Neil, that's a good site to know. Do you think the one I linked to would be compatible or is your site an exhaustive list of what will work with my board? £18 for 512mb seems a bit of a steal to me, thats all!

Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its that cheap there will be a reason for it for 30 quid you get some excellent corsair memory on overclockers a single basic 512mb memory chip wont cost you to much.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

If its that cheap there will be a reason for it for 30 quid you get some excellent corsair memory on overclockers a single basic 512mb memory chip wont cost you to much.

But buying it on Overclockers doesn't always guarantee that your board will like it as its generic stuff.
Whereas Crucial have actually tested their memory in that ECS board and KNOW what works in that board.

The stuff on the crucial link has been tested by Crucial and marked as working in your board. The original link is again generic stuff and should work but ECS boards have been known in the past to be really fussy about the types of memory you put in them.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes but if crucial ram is compatible then any other type of PC3200 ram and crucial ram can be pretty expensive.

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thanks for your advice Neil/Warriorscot, its much appreciated