Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection problem

• Please log in to reply

hitachi

hitachi

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I am having a problem where I am unable to use any IM program (Yahoo, MSN, Trillian, Miranda do not work- AIM does work strangely enough). This occurs when using dial up or a LAN connection (using a laptop).

The internet connection works fine, but none of these programs are able to connect. Looking at ipconfig looks ok although it says Dhcp is disabled.

I tried the http-tunnel program, but it says it can't connect to the internet.

All firewall programs are off.Any ideas what I could try?

Thanks

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi hitachi,

it says Dhcp is disabled.

This is no big deal... You probably have DHCP disabled if you're using a Static IP Address.
  • Right-click on 'My Network Places' and select 'Properties'.
  • Right-click on 'Local Area Connection' and select 'Properties'.
  • Click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and then press the 'Properties' button.
  • On this new window, check to see if you have 'Obtain an IP address automatically' selected; if not, you should have 'Use the following IP Address' selected along with the relevant details in all of the fields. If you have the latter choice selected, then it means you are using a Static IP and therefore do not need DHCP.
If you do indeed have DHCP disabled, then I would suggest that you make a new post in the Applications Forum. You might have more luck in determing the cause of this problem there; I for one don't know why this would happen.

However, some one else might reply here with a solution.

Dan.