Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook express and norton problem

• Please log in to reply

mdoggy40

mdoggy40

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just reinstalled windows, got my email to work. but now when i try and get mail my logon box keeps popping up. Called my internet company and they say it is a conflict with norton. In Norton i turned
off the email scanning but still have same problem. I had ran norton for a year or two with no problems.
Any ideas what i can try.
Using win xp pro, outlook express 6, norton anti virus 2005.
thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Norton, click the options tab, click the firewall configuration tab, programmes which are allowed to access the Internet, to check that Outlook express is set to permit all instead of automatic

mdoggy40

mdoggy40

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for the help, tried it but it didnt work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft say to run live update for norton

Install the latest version here

http://symantec.atgn...esultType=5000#

mdoggy40

mdoggy40

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
its all good now, thanks everybody.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Was Live Update the problem

Jean W.

Jean W.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a brand new Dell computer. Run Windows XP-Professional, Outlook Express 6, Norton systemsworks, and Norton Internet Security 2005, the latter which came installed on the computer. Systemsworks transferred over from my old computer and I like it's ability to do check-ups and such.

Last Thursday night, I suddenly was unable to download or send email using Outlook Express. This seemed to follow some kind of automatic download - but the download happened so fast, that I coulnd't see whose it was. Think it was Norton, but not sure.

I am able to access everything else on the internet, as in Web browsing, both with IE and Mozilla Firefox.

I can download or send email only if I turn off Norton In. Sec. Firewall before I open Outlook Express. This I determined in talking at length to my ISP tech. They have had complaints about this, but have not come up with a work around. It is not an email scanning problem, but a Norton Firewall problem.

I went to the Norton (symantec) site, specific to Outlook Express issues, and downloaded what they suggested there, to no avail. Then I tried working with Symantec over their 'free chat' line, but everything they asked me to do (clean boot, do a program scan on the firewall tab , etc.) ended up in 'hanging' windows. For instance, I could only scan to 31% of the programs before the scan just stopped and stuck. I coulnd't even close the window.

So, at this point, I am shutting off Norton Firewall before I access my email, turning on the Windows Firewall, and reversing the process when I am finished. The Norton Firewall is set to "medium".

There has to be a better way to fix this. I have no idea how to do the details of configuring the firewall, and anticipate that the program will 'hang' anyway, if I try.

Any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at setting the permission (Norton Firewall configuration) for outlook express to allow all instead of automatic

Jean W.

Jean W.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Keith,
Thanks but this did not work. I set "permit all" under the heading "Internet Acess" from the Firewall-configure-programs-manual program control tabls. I could not see how to do such a step from the directions you gave to the other person (above). I re-booted my computer. In any event, I continue to have the same problem. Maybe this is unrelated, but I also have problems, now, re-booting, as in turning off the computer (numerous "end program" windowns when I have closed down everything I was running). I click 'turn off' and it 'restarts'; sometimes I click 'restart' and the screen doesn't change. This is (supposed to be) a fast computer. What the heck is going on?
Jean

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this and stop if it improves, although none of the steps will be detrimental, including the repair options, but those can be left until last

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

This section is optional

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

If you are unable to run XP Repair

Alternate XP Repair

Use the last one, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update