Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 98 Reboot

• Please log in to reply

pniqster

pniqster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there any way that I can reboot my windows 98 computer without a system recovery disk? I think my computer recently had a virus (in all probability still has one), and i can only open a few select programs, though i think free cell still works. i just want to know if i can do something that i'll be able to wipe the computer and install an operating system.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

There are a multitude of ways you can wipe your system clean but you can only install an operating system if you have the install disk..

Murray

pniqster

pniqster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can go out and buy an operating system, that's not the part i'm worried about. ideally i would just be able to use my current OS and fix it, but i'm not that optimistic. unfortunately, i'm not exactly a computer whiz. so i don't know how to whipe a computer.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, depending on what you purchase for an OS, if it is Win2000 or XP, it will partition and format as it installs..

For anything else, get a Win98SE or WinME bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com and use that..

Murray