Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet after reformatting?

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Well I got a new custom system and I have getting the blue screen of death and other issues, well I just decided I should reformate... Well I reformatted but it will not connect to the internet... I left all my internet wires the same, but it won't connect. Last time I didn't have to set up anything, right when the OS was installed the first time it picked it up automatically, so why shouldn't it now? My internet is connected to a router.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a network card with ethernet lead, you will need to install the card drivers

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

If you have a network card with ethernet lead, you will need to install the card drivers

Nope, its connected through the motherboard.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
By USB lead?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

By USB lead?

Erm, I don't really know, but here's something...

My computer is connected through a router, my mom's computer is the main one, then mine... Well I installed the erthernate drivers from my motherboard disk and it created a new connection, and it showed packed sent and recieved. But! When I click "support" on it, it shows no IP addresses or anything! And here's what I think is the problem..

This is my was on my mom's computer... I bet this has to do with the problem...

untitled.JPG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are the computer names the same, click start then right click my computer, click properties, click computer name to check full computer name

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Are the computer names the same, click start then right click my computer, click properties, click computer name to check full computer name

Both of the computers need to have the same name? We have had them different all this time and they have worked perfectly... But I did change my computer's name to David instead of Dave when I reformatted, is that the problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No the computer names need to be different, it can be dave or david as long as the other computer name is different

If you open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, do you get a configuration page

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

No the computer names need to be different, it can be dave or david as long as the other computer name is different

If you open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, do you get a configuration page

In the computer that does or doesn't have internet access?

If its the one that does, yes. For the one that doesn't, no.

Edited by Comrade General, 08 January 2006 - 02:09 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you got a software CD for the router, install it

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

If you got a software CD for the router, install it

No software came with the router. (We didn't buy it, the ISP gave it to use when they installed the 5mbps connection)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try downloading this and save it to disc (it should just fit on to a floppy as well) then load it onto the PC which won't connect

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Didn't work.... :tazz:

Whats weird is their is a network that says it recieving but it says IP Adress: Invalid Address

Then like submask: 0.00.0

or something, but its recieving and sending...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the network connection then click properties, you may need to click TCP/IP then click advanced to see what the details are, there should be a dot in obtain address automatically

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Right click the network connection then click properties, you may need to click TCP/IP then click advanced to see what the details are, there should be a dot in obtain address automatically

Yup, so now what?

Edit: Resolved! I just did a repair on my mom's connection and it fixed it... :tazz:

Thanks for the help though Keith.

Edited by Comrade General, 08 January 2006 - 02:52 PM.