Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop Hates Windows Update.

• Please log in to reply

frontball13

frontball13

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Windows update doesn't like this laptop I tells ya! It started when I first got the thing and I attempted to update all the drivers from Windows Update. When I restarted the computer, I found that all the drivers (except for the CD-ROM and mouse) were wrecked and unusable! Well, that was ok, because I had a CD full of drivers that were newer than the ones that came with the computer (go figure, dealer didn't do it themselves). But, my registry was screwed. Certain programs had trouble running due to a permanently damaged registry. So, I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything. Good as new. Then after the summer, I tried to put SP2 on the computer (I finally got high speed and was excited for it) and that stopped the computer from even starting up! Format, reinstall. Ever since then, I've been afraid to touch Windows Update. I tried updating again since then, but got an installation error during it and spent 2 hours repairing my windows installation. Is there anyway to do this safely or do I need to take advantage of the warranty?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. If it is under warranty, the best way to get some direct, personal help would be to call the manufacturer for warranty assistance. There are folks here that are willing and able to help, but the warranty is certainly the most appropriate relief. Give that a shot.