Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problem! Windows XP in need of help

• Please log in to reply

bob offkey

bob offkey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been searching google for days, but cant find a solution my boot up problem.

When i turn on my computer, the computer starts (mechanically) as it should, fan spins, hd spins, etc.

However, the screen remain blank and nothing loads (no CMOS or BIOS). The monitor light remain orange and does not turn green as expected. No additional hardware was removed/added before things started to go wrong.

I have tried unlugging and re connecting parts, but all has failed. I have fully checked the cpu, motherboard and graphics card and all seem ok.

Before this problem occured a GRUB error occured, which i removed through resetting the CMOS. Now nothing appears on the screen.

I tried to overclock the processor before this event through the BIOS and i feel this may be the cause, however i to the manufacturer and they dont believe this is the problem.

Hope someone can help

Thanks!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi bob offkey! Welcome to G2G!

Do you have onboard video on your motherboard that you can hook up your monitor cable to instead of the video card? If you do, then I suggest you try that and see if you can't at least get the computer to POST.

Fenor

bob offkey

bob offkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes, ive tries this method, however the same problem occurs!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then unfortunately you have most likely fried your processor by trying to overclock it. Only thing you really have left to try is to remove and reseed the heatsink and processor. I would normally say not to do this if you do not feel completely comfortable doing this, but since there really is no more damage that you could do, I suggest you try it. Make sure that you wear an anti-static wristband OR make sure you are grounded (by touching any part of the metal case itself) before touching any part of the heatsink or processor.

Fenor

Fenor

bob offkey

bob offkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Im pretty sure i havent fried my processor.

I removed the processor and heatsink before emailing. What exactly do you mean by 'reseed' im guessing it means to remove and then put it back. If theres any other ways of sorting this out i would be thankfull!

thanks for your help!