Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error loading Explorer.exe.

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's try something else...

Reboot with the Startup disk in the floppy. At the options screen, choose to "Start with CD-ROM Support" and press "Enter".

Follow the prompts to start Setup.

The important thing here is to make sure that Windows installs to the same folder it is currently installed to. DO Not let it change the directory. It must be installed to C:WINDOWS.

Let me know if this gets things rolling down the right road...

Advertisements

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
This just takes us back to where we were before, that is "Your CD-Rom is drive E
To view Help etc:
and then
A:/>

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not cooperating, is it? :tazz:

Let's see if it will boot from the CD. (I don't think ME will do this, but worth a shot while I mess with my ME machine)

Remove the Startup diskette and reboot. Enter the BIOS setup and set the Boot Priority so the CD-ROM is set to First Boot Device with the HDD as second. Save the settings if you change any (usually F10) and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart.

Let me know if it boots from the CD-ROM.

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
No joy with that Im afraid

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I figured... :tazz:

Is your backslash (\) still not working?

If it IS working, use the Startup diskette to boot to the command prompt.

At the A:\> prompt, type E:\windows me\setup.exe and press "Enter".

Does this start the installation?

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
The \ isn't working. Maybe I could use the external keyboard from my desktop machine, although I think I might have to make changes to the BIOS to allow an external keyboard

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If it is PS2 rather than USB, it should detect just fine. Give it a shot. :tazz:

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Actually it is PS2 and I tried it earlier when you asked me to use \ and it didnt work then. I noticed a line in the setup BIOS screen re ext keyboards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Must be a Toshiba thing...go ahead and enable it and try the command I suggested. With a working keyboard, try several of the suggested commands again.

I'm going to have to step out for about an hour, but will check back as soon as I return... :tazz:

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for all your help so far

Fingers crossed

Roger

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you had any luck?

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I'm afraid not. Couldn't get the ext keyboard to work at all. I'm off to get some sleep now and hopefully we can give it some attention tomorrow. In the meantime thanks for all your help , its much appreciated.

Roger

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Here's a suggestion. I have from a different PC a whole set of Windows 95 diskettes. Would it work installing these from the A: drive and then , once we have a version of windows working, going to the CD and installing ME ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
YES!

Install the Win 95...maybe that will get your keyboard working (I hope). Once you get 95 on the machine, post back...or, of course, you run into problems. :tazz:

I'll be out for a bit this morning, but will check in as soon as I return.

wannabe1

benedicuk

benedicuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I'm afraid thats turned out to be a retrograde step. I now have an unworking version of 95 that still says the same message about explorer.exe. although it does now say "The explorer.exe file is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL.SHREGOPENUSKEYA"