Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Overheating

• Please log in to reply

kenleeliew

kenleeliew

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just bought a computer with the following specifications:

3.0 Ghz processor with HT technology
Intel Desktop Board
512 MB RAM
128 MB MSI Graphics Card
80 GB Hard Disk

Yet, I often experience system overheating, esp. in the processor zone. I have a fan at the back of the CPU, not to mention the already-installed processor fan. Will increasing the number of fans resolve this problem of mine?

Thank you.

Advertisements

alphaethan

alphaethan

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
First of all, you only mentioned a fan for your processor, a heat sink is also a critical component for today's processors. Without one, it can fry intantly.

But, before you install a new heat sink, or if got one on the processor already, make sure there is thermal compound!!! Arctic Silver 5, or other thermal grease should be fine. Check online for application instructions.

Now, if you already have all that, then you need to check how hot is your processor running. Usually Bios can tell you. If it's running above 55 deg C, it's probably too hot. An ideal processor temp is 35-45 deg C, and maybe 50 at full load. Although 60 deg C will not kill your processor either, but shorten its life span.

Increasing the amount of fans does not mean cooler PC, because of turbulance it can actually increase your processor temp. You should have 2-4 fans at the most depends on how big they are and where you put them. Depends on the case, here's a example:

One 120mm exhaust fan on the back of the computer, blowing OUT, draw hot air out.

One 120mm blow fan at the front of the case draw cool into the computer, blowing toward the back of the case.

If a side panel fan is present, it should be blowing at the processor, 120mm size desired, but most cases offers 80mm ones.

There can be a fourth one, it's called a blow hole, which is on top of the case, blows hot air out from the system. Depends on the case, you may or may not have one. It's not necessary, but it's cool.

Now, that's based on the 120mm fan system, if you can only fit 80mm fans, you may need more, which sucks because they are loud. That's right, when purchase fans, buy quiet ones for your ears' sake. Antec or Vantec both are good.

Well, it's long, but hopefully helpful.

Good Luck

Alphaethan