Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What should my virtual memory be set to?

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I have had some small performance issues on my pc. I was wondering what my vitural memory should be set to. I have 2 gigs of ram, and a 3.0 ghz cpu. should the min and max be set the same? should i really have 2 gigs of page files on this system?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no right answer to this question, it depends what you use the system for.

In theory, 2Gb of memory should be more than enough for all but the most demanding of video editing and/or graphics editing. Therefore virtual memory, when not video/graphic editing, shouldn't be an issue.

In practice, as computers get better, components get cheaper and applications get bigger and bigger, virtual memory becomes a must. Indeed some older applications will not run without VM set up.

The easiest solution is to set Windows up to use Virtual Memory as a System Managed file. This makes it dynamic depending on what the system is doing at the time and the amount of memory in the system BUT you notice a slight performance hit while Windows resizes the pagefile depending on system load.

The advanced solution is to specify custom settings but the only downfall with this solution is that you run out of Virtual Memory and quite a lot of applications don't cope with this eventuality all that nicely; plus you get to see lots of pop-up bubbles from Windows complaining about it.