Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Inspiron 2650 reinstalling OS

• Please log in to reply

alexatech

alexatech

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 which came with Microsoft XP Home edition.
The disc supplied by Dell can not be located. All I have left is the sticker on the back of the notebook that bears the OS' product key.
Is there possible way to reinstall Windows without acquiring another copy?
Because of malware and viruses I want to reinstall the OS.
I've try restoring to the factory original settings, but Dell said it was impossible. The notebook is from 2002 and they were not using system restoration tools back then.
Thank you very much,
-alex

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try bashing F10, see what happens. You may not have recovery CDs if the recovery software is sitting on your hard drive.

You may be able to borrow a friend's XP Home CD, but the only caveat you have to watch out for is that its an OEM CD (not a retail one as your key won't work on the Retail disk) and also that you use your Windows key and NOT his/her key.

alexatech

alexatech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neil,
Thank you for your quick response.
I have tried another Reinstallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition disc provided by Dell for a different computer. When it asked for the key I entered the number I found on the sticker under the notebook. Obviously, this number and the disc are not a match.
This is why I do not understand your suggestion on borrowing a disc. Am I describing something different?
F10 was fruitless. You do it during the Dell splask screen, right?
Thanks,
-alex

Edited by alexatech, 08 January 2006 - 08:49 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The disk I refer to is an actual proper Windows disk, not one made by Dell for a certain machine. Those are often, as you've found, tied to the machine they originally came with in one way or the other.

Whereas a proper Windows disk is not locked to any specfic machine and as long as its an OEM cd, it will accept your code. Problem with doing it this way is that you don't get back the preinstalles software that came with the notebook originally but that may not be any great loss.

alexatech

alexatech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neil,
I understand now. Thank you very much.
I will give that a try and I will gather drivers from Dell.
Thanks, once more, for your help.
-alex