Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COD2 distorted graphics-unplayable

• Please log in to reply

jorgejam

jorgejam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The graphics are distorted, making the game unplayable.
I get no error messages and the game only crashed once, during the dozens of settings changes and test runs.

I've been trying to get this game to work for 2 days now!
I have a 1 month old (clean install) of XP Pro updated with all service packs, the latest drivers,
reinstalled Direct X(Dec2005Ver.).
XP PRO
Athlon XP 1600+
512meg RAM
NVidia Geforce4 TI 4200 8xAGP

I tried resolutions from 800x600 to 1024x768 and refresh rates from 60 to 75Hz.

I also added lines to the desktop shortcut with about 6 different resolution settings:
Example: "D:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 2\CoD2SP_s.exe" +seta r_mode "800x600" +seta r_displayRefresh "60 Hz

I disabled or lowered every setting possible to the lowest settings and tried both DirectX 7 and 9.

I've attached a couple of screen shots of the nightmare!

shot0000.jpg

shot0001.jpg

Advertisements

mycompsux

mycompsux

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Did you include the latest video card drivers in your installations of the latest drivers?

jorgejam

jorgejam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Audio,BIOS,sound,chipset,Direct X(Dec2005ver)...etc.
Activision said they can't help me because I have an Athlon XP 1600Mhz and not the minimum 1700Mhz.
I argued that the 100Mhz difference will not affect the graphics in this way. but they refuse to help because
I don't have the minimum 1700Mhz CPU.
Considering I just got laid-off, it might be a while before I can upgrade my system.
I managed to get the graphics to look good, I manually set the Direct X to 9 but I get a frequent flickering
across the screen. It's an area about 2-3 inches high and runs the length of the screen, then it flashes
intermittently near the top then near the bottom.
It's not the monitor.
There has to be a sync issue, but I don't know what may be causing it. If I get a new cpu I'll post my results, but it may be a while.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try setting the gfx to DX7 mode as you have a pre DX9 card i think it might even be pre DX7.

Your system is also very borderline to play the game a 1700+ would barely play it hence why it was the minimum most people cant play games with the minimum spec as when it does play it looks crap and is laggy.

Also game is a RAM hog.

I would check the temps on your gfx card, and give the inside of your system a clean, that game will be running your gfx at its maximum capacity and it will be pumping out a huge amount of heat which when it gets to much will cause artificing like what you are seeing.

jorgejam

jorgejam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
COD2 will only work with Direct X9, if I switch to Direct X 7, I get the distorted graphics.
This is puzzling, since Direct X 7 should provide better performance.
My cover is off and the inside is very clean.
The game does play well,with DX9,but that annoying intermittent flickering(described previously)
makes the gameplay a chore.
I doubt it's a thermal issue, the game exhibits these issues immediately.
I will experiment with more screen resolutions, refresh rates, hardware diagnostic software...etc, to
see if I can find a cure.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See those cards are hard to work with these days as ive noticed that while the drivers from nvidia work for them they seem not to work as well as the older ones did. And the old ones are hard to find.