Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only 16 Color

• Please log in to reply

Irishivy

Irishivy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have the same prob as another user I read
"my computer only has 16 colors. I right click on the desktop, go to properties, and settings or whatever and it only has 16 colors. No 256 colors or hi 16, or anything just 16 colors." I downloaded Windows 2000 thinking that was the prob, but still nothing. I am trying to set up the com for my kids games, but they all use 232 or 32 bit color or atleast 16 high. I can't even select the "Adapter" tab, because there is no "Properties" button found, so I can not update the driver. Some background info on the com is it was a county network computer, and they attemped to strip it. It came with Windows 98, and it is a Compaq deskpro EN, if that helps, that is all is says on the front. Please help ASAP!!!! Thank you

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Irishivy...

Please download and install Everest Home Edition. Run it and generate a HTML report...Click "Report" on the toolbar, point to "Quick Report - All Pages", and select "HTML". Attach the log to your next post for me. This will give me the information I need to round you up some new drivers.

wannabe1

Irishivy

Irishivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am assuming that "download" means I most likely do not have this "Everst" thing already on my com, and I need to download from the net, if so I will have to get a very long cord and hook it up in the other room to get internet, I am on another com as we speek. Any other suggestions, or is this the only way?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a cd burner on the computer you are on now? If so, download it to that machine, burn the file to a cd, and install it on the other machine. The log will be small enough to transfer via floppy disk so that you can attach it for me.

wannabe1

Irishivy

Irishivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Wannabe1,
I have an idea, I am downloading Everest onto my sandisk, I am hoping that I can then upload it onto the other computer and then run a report for you, might take awaile I am afraid, sorry

Irishivy

Irishivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am at 80%, u going to be around for awhile so I can install it and then get the report. I know you are probably busy...I really am thankful you guys/gals are around. Don't know what I whould do....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll be around for a while yet... :tazz:

Irishivy

Irishivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Crap!!! when I went to upload it said "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension." I some how have to save the report onto this computer then upload it. It will not upload from my Sandisk??? I downloaded Everest onto this computer but I can not transfer the report for my old com?Now what? :tazz:

Irishivy

Irishivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry I forgot about rule #2. I was able to download to a Word doc. Hope that is ok. There it is I guess, I can't tell if it really uploaded...It took so long, I am working on 46.6 speed sorry

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm not seeing an attachment.... :) Please try again :tazz:

Advertisements

Irishivy

Irishivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is there something in particular you need off the report that I can cut and paste? I do not think it will attach. I am really sorry about this, it seems like one thing after another…..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try generating the log in Plain Text (same way as HTML only choose the text option) and try attaching it using the "Browse" and "Add This Attachment" buttons under the text input (reply) box.

No worries...the site appears to be having some minor issues this evening...we'll get this handled one way or another.

wannabe1

Irishivy

Irishivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Got another error "The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments"
Anyway I can cut some fat off this bad boy? :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tell you what let's do...I'll PM you with my e-mail addy and you can send it to me via e-mail.

Irishivy

Irishivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sweet thank you