Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive does recognize any disc ...

• Please log in to reply

hajiwon

hajiwon

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
my DVD driver stopped working all a sudden ... it cannot read any disc. the drive is shown in (my computer) and when i put the disc in, the light flashes normally.

the drive seems normal, but it just doesn't recognize any disc. can anyone help me?? i don't know what the problem is ...

thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello hajiwon...

Let's try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and let Windows reinstall it.

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Under the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button. Click the + next to DVD/CD-ROM drives and right click on the drive you are having the problem with...choose "Uninstall". "Apply" the change and click "Ok".

Restart your machine and let Windows detect and install the device. Did this help?

wannabe1

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
wannabe1, i uninstalled it but when i restarted the computer to add the hardware, it said the device was working properly ... it's still unable to read any disc :tazz:

Edited by hajiwon, 09 January 2006 - 02:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

Make a back up of your registry by clicking "File" in the toolbar and selecting "Export". In the File Name box, type 010906, choose where you want to save the file, and click "Save"

Navigate to the following keys and, if they are present, delete the bold entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters

(To do this, Click Start, then Run, and type regedit...click "Ok" In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. In the right pane, look for the entry UpperFilter. If it is present, right click on it and choose delete...accept the deletion. Do this for both registry keys...one for the upper filter and one for the lower filter.)

Reboot the machine and see if your dvd-rom drive works...let me know how this goes.

wannabe1

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
^ i did what you told me but unfortunately it still doesn't work ...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the make and model of your dvd drive? This information can be found in Device Manager.

wannabe1

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
^ it's a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download this Firmware and install it. Reboot and try your drive.

wannabe1

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
it still doesn't work ... i tried to play my music cd and the media player says no disc in drive ...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmmmm

Click Start, then Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
Click System Tools, and then click Device Manager.
Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
Double-click the controller for your DVD drive and look under the Primary and Secondary Channel tabs. (It will display your DVD drive when you choose the right one...it will probably be the second choice in the list)

Is your drive configured for P10, DMA, or Ultra DMA?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 January 2006 - 03:46 PM.

Advertisements

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
the drive is configured for Ultra DMA

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you get an error message of any kind when you put a disk in the drive?

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
no not at all ... it seems normal

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is certainly an odd problem... :tazz:

Did you install or remove any software or hardware just prior to this starting to happen? Any power interuptions or system hangs where you had to power down using the power switch? Or did it just happen "out of the blue"?

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
i think it just happened randomly, i don't know what might could have caused the problem. but this problem resulted a couple months ago, just that i didn't have time to fix it, so i just left it as it was ..

*do you think if i take this DVD drive and put it in another pc of mine, will it work??

Edited by hajiwon, 09 January 2006 - 04:16 PM.