Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win2000 stuck in setup

• Please log in to reply

tommythiessen

tommythiessen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer finally seized up. I restarted the computer and now it states that the following file is missing or corrupt: /WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEMced
When I load my OS disk it still won't allow me to go into setup mode. The only options I can use is the initial setup menu for the computer.
My problem is 2-fold: The first is that I would like to access files on the computer before reinstallation if possible.
The second is that I'm not sure how to format the hard drive from the state of the computer. I have even tried using my Win98 boot disks with no avail. Please Help!!

Tommy T.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello tommythiessen...

Try booting into Safe Mode options by tapping the F8 key during the boot sequence. In the Safe Mode options screen, select "Last known good configuration" and press "Enter". If that option won't work, try to boot into "Safe Mode". If you are able to start the machine in either of these options...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour).

When System File Check has completed, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /x (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient. (It wouldn't hurt to run this one twice)

Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 January 2006 - 10:25 PM.

tommythiessen

tommythiessen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help...but it's still a no-go. I've tried Safe Mode many times but I still get prompted that "windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
I've talked to a friend who says that my HD has likely crashed and that I should purchase a new one and install. If I check my old HD as the slave, there's a chance that I could still recover files from it after installing windows on the other. Agree?

Tommy T.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tommythiessen...

Yes, there is a good possibility that that will work. There's no guarantee...never is with Windows or with a questionable piece of hardware, but I've certainly had it work for me.

wannnabe1

tommythiessen

tommythiessen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks wannnabe1. Quick question; if by some chance that my hard drive crash was due to a virus, would it carry over to my newly installed HD? If I set it as the primary slave would I be able to scan it first before it is accessed by the OS? Silly question maybe, but this stuff is pretty new to me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In a word, Yes. Make sure you have the new drive up and running with an AV program on it. Shut down and install the old drive as a slave (Don't forget to set the jumper to the slave position) and have the AV do a thorough scan of the drive before opening or moving anything.

wannabe1