Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Spyware Infection Background

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you evey had Window Blinds installed?

Do any of these keys have DValues associated with them?

First thing, back up the registry and save it to your desktop. To do this, In the registry editor (regedit), click on "File" and select "Export". In the "Save In" drop down menu, choose "Desktop", then name the file 011506, and click "Save".

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer and delete everything in the right pane EXCEPT Default

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ ActiveDesktop and delete everything in the right pane EXCEPT Default

Reboot and try changing the Theme...

wannabe1

Advertisements

journalizt

journalizt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry dude,
I'm a techno dweeb, like you. Just happened to luck out on a Google search, tried the fix and it worked. Understand that I didn't delete anything. I simply edited the numberic setting from "1" back to "0". I seriously suggest you direct this question to Wannabe; cause if I'm not mistaken, you don't want to start deleting line items using Regedit without legal counsel from your lawyer and a note from your physician...

Regards,
Journalizt

sostrosser

sostrosser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ha ha! I have control of my background image back!

i deleted all entries other than the default and at first nothing happened. however, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System there were more seemingly similar entries as under ActiveDesktop and Explorer. when i deleted these (with the exception of default) and rebooted, i had full control of my desktop again. i kept the initial version of the registry saved just in case something happens in the near future.

thank you both very much for your help, especially wannabe who no doubt must have spent a considerable amount of time trying to diagnose this problem and thank you journalizt for your very timely post that put us on the right track

i really do appreciate your help

sostrosser

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're very welcome, sostrosser...I'm glad that we got you fixed up. :tazz:

AND thanks for the additional information...I've added this to my list of things to check for this issue.

I'll add a thanks to journalizt, too...your posting was a great help!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 January 2006 - 09:43 AM.

tcichosz

tcichosz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System

delete the entry, "wallpaper" or something of the such.
the entry should have the location of the html spyware webpage that was your previous background written in it.
so, delete it, and you will be able to once again change the background.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tcichosz...

Look again...the issue has been successfully resolved, but thanks for your suggestion. :tazz:

wannabe1

onerockinguy

onerockinguy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I followed your instuctions wannabe1, but the problem was not fixed but after reading tcichosz's post I deleted wallpaper from HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System and the problem was solved.
thank you all for your help

cot

cot

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hey, i'm stuck with the modified theme.
i cnt even chg it back to classic nor xp.
and,
the dll thing pops out everytime.
HELP!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: cot

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic especially one that is over 3 years old you will probably not get assistance and it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.