Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to clean off drive to give computer to kids

• Please log in to reply

kimerskine

kimerskine

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I am not sure this is the right forum to ask this if not please let me know where to ask...

We currently have a old computer which came with a 8 gb hard drive. We added another 110 gb. However, we had to split it between 2 drives; f & G. We have worked hard to keep the C: (8GB) clear but it just keeps filling up. I have briefly flirted with trying to move every thing to the other drives, but feel it is totally beyond me.

Now, however I have been given a newer computer from work to bring home. So I have a few questions.

1) I want to send the 8 GB to the kids - and want it cleaned of everything except the Windows XP and Office that is on it. We may add other things as they need it... printer, games etc, but really want to start with a clean slate. How do I do that? Do I need to copy anything to disks besides the obvious... documents, personal data from quicken? How do i find those?...

2) I want to keep the 110 GB drive and put it in the new computer, but want it cleaned up too...
when we added it we copied everything from the 8GB over to it... and have sometimes found things on it such as .dlls which I inadvertanly delete at times :tazz: can and should I copy this to DVD's. It is also where we keep pictures videos and try to store all new programs on it. Suggestions on cleaning this up as well.

and finally

3) Can I (should I) avoid installing internet explorer and use Fire fox or one of the other internet options?
I look forward to your help on this.

Kim

Advertisements

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
1) Reformat your computer and install Microsoft Office again.Before doing that, backup any files you wanted.

2) Again reformat the 110GB drive. Before doing that, backup any files you wanted.

3) Use Firefox is recommanded. But use internet explore as a backup like I do, because sometimes firefox don't play videos right. Disable the downloading ActiveX from option for internet explore.

Hope this help =)

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
So if I have all program disks I can just delete everything else? Will i be able to get on line? or there is a program that is needed for that?

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi kimerskine...

It appears that Fusion_Inc is offline at the moment so I'll see if I can help you a little.

Couple of quick questions.
  • Do you have the XP and Office installation cd's for the old machine?
  • Are you going to use the 110G HDD as a slave or master in the new machine?
  • Did you get the OS installation cd with the new computer?
Firefox is a great primary browser, but you'll need Internet Explorer, too. Many MS downloads require the IE browser as do some other sites such as Panda Active Scan.

A complete format and clean install of XP on the 8G HDD will effectively remove all of the information on the drive and will suit your purpose very well. In reality, the information (at least parts of it) will still be recoverable, but it would take a data forensics person to get it...probably not a worry unless you are a rocket scientist. :tazz: XP will format for you when you install it.

I would assume that Quicken is very similar to Quickbooks (both by Intuit) so when you are ready to make the transfer simply use the backup feature and save it to removable media...then use the restore feature on the new machine to input the data to Quicken.

For the documents and pictures, etc. Copy the folders they are in to removable media and paste them to the same location on the new machine. Anything else can be copied and pasted the same way (ie: music files, system sounds, screen savers...).

As for going online, if your ISP requires that software be installed to connect, you will need that. XP is very good about connectivity so getting online should prove quite easy.

Hope I haven't created more questions than I've answered... :)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 January 2006 - 11:28 PM.

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks for the reply wannabe1, I was busy with my homework =)

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for this...

I would love to use the 110 GB drive as the master hard drive but really not sure how to do that!! I do have all of the CD's for the soft ware. I have been reading up on how to find files of data either to back them up or delete, ie Word Doc, Excel, pictures videos, e-mails so I guess I will get to work hunting them down and backing them up! I aslo do have the operating hardware for the new computer. SInce it was a work computer, when it was retired (6 months ago) they wiped everything off of it. So to send it home with me our part time techie, re-installed Windows XP and Word XP. I do need to check to see if the CD I found next to it was the one installed...

Is it difficult to set up the added 110 GB as the master, or do I need to keep it as the slave? I am actually quite good at following directions in cleaning out my computer and working with registrys, just need as I said detailed instructions. :tazz:

Once the computer gets home and we're underway I am sure I will have many more questions. But for now I will busy myself with finding data to save...

Thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kimerskine...

Is it difficult to set up the added 110 GB as the master

This is just a matter of setting a jumper block and hooking the drive to the right connector. Should be no problem at all. When you have the drive out of the machine, write down the make and model number so we have that should we need it.

wannabe1

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Okay,

I think I have all our documents copied to disk... How do I go about cleaning off the original machine to give to the kids, so that I can open it up and take out the newly erased drive, and get ythe make and model so you can lead me to making it the hard drove for the new computer! :tazz:

Thanks

Kim

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again!

Rather than take the drive out for the information, download Everest, run it, generate a report using the Report Wizard (System Summary...HTML), click the "Save to file" icon, and save it to your Desktop. Then attach it here for me.

Once I have that, we can begin to wipe this machine clean... :tazz:

wannabe1

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Here is the System summary report...

Attached File  Report.htm   29.06KB   23 downloads

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have the report and am ready when you are... :tazz:

Just to verify...We want to format both drives...correct?

Install XP back to both drives...correct?

wannabe1

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have our old computer... using it now :) and I think I have everything off of it... My fingers are crossed my outlook e-mails are saved... :)

Anyway, I want to clean off everything from this computer... and take the 110 GB from this and install it into my new to me computer from the office. The New computer (#2) has a 10 GB hard drive and windows XP and Office XP already installed.

I then want to re-install windows xp and Office on to the old computer (now with only a 8gb drive)... It didn't have Office XP but Windows office 2000. I have that disk as well...

I'd love he 110GB drive to be the main one... if we can do that.

I do have the disks for the new computer as well as it already being installed...

I may not be able to do this till tomorrow... quite late here on the east coast...

Thanks for your help[ with this... :tazz:

Edited by kimerskine, 16 January 2006 - 10:50 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll put together enough instructions to get you going tomorrow. We'll do the old machine first. It has only the one HDD, correct?

wannabe1

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The old machine (or current one...)(#1) has the hard drive that came with it... 8 GB and we installed another 110 GB... I want to remove that one and put it in new (to me) computer (#2).

Also quick thought... if we have a program that we have bought updates to, but may have lost the original disk (quicken springs to mind) how do we get around that on the new computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before we format, we'll see if we can get all the registration and product keys out of the registry. That way you should be able to get your updates online. I'll research that a little.

Is the 110G drive just being used for data? No applications installed on it?

wannabe1