Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to clean off drive to give computer to kids

• Please log in to reply

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'd like to use the 110 gb drive for as much as possible, including applications... I was amazed at how the 10 GB fills up, and I find it hard sometimes to install new programs on a different drive, other than the "C" or main drive... can we make the 110 the main drive? if not, then can we move enough stuff to the 110 so I am not using too much of 10 GB... from what i see the Data doesn't usually take up space... it is the programs...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please install Everest on the new machine and attach me a report for that machine, as well. These reports give me the information I need to find updated drivers (should we need them) for each machine after the installation of XP.

With the power cord disconnected from the computer, remove the large drive from the machine. Be sure to touch a metal part of the case before touching the HDD to avoid static discharge damage.

The smaller drive in this machine should already be jumpered as Master, so no changes will need to be made to that one.

We will be using This Reference for this procedure, look it over...print it out if you can. If you have any questions, now is the time to ask.

Plug the machine back in and power it up. Enter the BIOS Setup by tapping either the F1 or Delete key during boot up (It will say at the bottom of the first screen which key you need to press "Press [key] to enter setup" and set the Boot Priority as follows:
  • CD_ROM (May be listed as ATAPI)
  • HDD (may be listed as IDE 0
  • Floppy
Put your XP installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and restart (Ctrl + Alt + Delete). This will start the installation process. Watch for the prompt at the bottom of the screen to (Press any key to boot from cd"...press a key. Follow the prompts and the reference (link) from here.

You'll want to delete any and all partitions on the drive and create a single partition using the entire available space. I would recommend formatting this drive as FAT32 to address compatability issues with the programs the kids may want to run.

Once the formatting is complete, XP should begin it's installation.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

wannabe1

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
AHHHH how daunting... I will try to get you the specs tomorrow... back to work at teh office not working from home till fri so it will ahver to wait for evenings... can I trust you'll stay to help me?

Kim :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

can I trust you'll stay to help me?

You can count on it! :tazz:

wannabe1

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Okay... have the new computer up!!! it runs and I have internet :tazz: So here is the Everest report... thats all I got to today... I installed windows service pack 2 and that took a lot of time!!

Will get to taking the other one apart on Friday...

Thanks again...

Kim

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Having fun yet? :tazz:

It's not really too bad an operation, it just sounds hard.

Open the Device Manager for me (right click My Computer and choose Properties...click the Hardware tab then the Device Manager button) are there any yellow ! or ? listed?

Edited by wannabe1, 18 January 2006 - 11:23 PM.

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No yellow ! or ? And yes I'm having a ball!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...you don't need more help on that machine...Operating System is on and all drivers installed...GOOD JOB! :tazz:

wannabe1

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for this.. I'll tackle the other Friday... good night.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome :tazz:

See ya Friday... :)

wannabe1

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok kimerskine...which one are we starting on and what are you wanting to accomplish with this machine?

wannabe1