Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant seem to install XP, code 7

• Please log in to reply

nickomac

nickomac

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I need to reinstall winxp on my old ibm computer but everytime i start the setup, it starts to load the setup files (after the 3rd party raid drivers) then halts and gives the error;
"file /i386/ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.
the error code is 7."

I don't remember having a recovery disc for windows, and there are no hiddden partitions on the hard drive. I tryed going through the BIOS, but I saw nothing related. I also ran memtest for a few hours and got no errors. The sticker on the case says it's model # is: 912241e(adj - 9100), its pretty scratched up.

I'm using the XPhome cd that came with it, so i"m to a loss of whats wrong. any help will be appreciated.

Edited by nickomac, 08 January 2006 - 09:38 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If exisiting data isn't a problem then use Boot and Nuke to clear the drive

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

If you use auto run it could take 5 hours, depending on the size of the drive but will format the drive comprehensively, then when XP loads, use the default NTFS format, not the quick

Another thing to check is that the XP format shows RAW1 partition on C

If it shows anything different then press the reset button to restart the install, delete any partition created and it will format to C

nickomac

nickomac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
There is not existing data i care for, but I am concerned with not being able to install xp again. I switched out the HDD for one I know works, and I get the same error. I removed all the partitions off it first. I will try your advice when I get home tonite, Im thinking it may be the motherboard. thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you changed the drives, check for loose wires

nickomac

nickomac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I went over the pc and checked all the wires. didnt notice any loose or broken connections. While i did that, i switched where the ide cables were, no luck either.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use boot and nuke to wipe the drive and it should run set up properly

nickomac

nickomac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I should of just used boot&nuke. Now my floppy won't work :tazz: I think i messed up the floppy controller, cause the drive works on my other pc :) I think I'm gonna upgrade my mobo and processor now, it wont cost too much and it will be faster. thanks for your help keith

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the Bios is set for floppy boot seek if you are going to run boot and nuke from a floppy

nickomac

nickomac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i went through the bios and set seek at post and tried switching everything else around (swap, drive A, B) and still nothing, i ended up removing the battery and shorting the clear cmos jumper. And first thing i did was load bios defaults on next boot, and set everything again. still no install and no floppy. i used the same ribbon cable too.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you likely to go with the upgrade from here

Advertisements

nickomac

nickomac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
im thinking so, i would like to solve this problem though. I dont like it when i can't figure it out :)
this mobo is pretty old and it might be dieing (s370 :tazz: ), i think i might try a bios update if there is one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if that helps, if you want to solve it I can ask the others to take a look

nickomac

nickomac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks i would appreciate that, ill post the specs in a bit :tazz:

nickomac

nickomac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I used the last version of everest home edition and i got;
celeron II, 1.1 ghz, s370
MSI MS-6137 ver 2.1
Intel whitney i810
128 SDRAM pc133
Everest reports the bios as 07/20/01

Edited by nickomac, 10 January 2006 - 04:16 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Worth looking for an update