Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This file does not have a program associated to it for performing

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did they say if it was only for Compaq machines

Advertisements

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
They said it works with any XP machine.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for that, I have downloaded it in case

Pymeohmy

Pymeohmy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello,

I am having the same problem as Nicdez but my problem started after I installed Norton Internet Security 2006 to replace an older version. Suddenly all my icons were transformed to sheets of paper...all of them except for AOL..that icon is still there and I am able to get online...otherwise I can't open any other file...I am getting the same error message: "THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR
PERFORMING THIS ACTION. CREATE AN ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL."

If I right click on any icon there is not an option to OPEN it. The only options are COPY, PASTE..etc.
I clicked on the link from Nicdez but nothing happened. It did seem to download so I put the link on
my desktop and click on it from time to time...still nothing happens. It seems that I have nothing that my computer can find to open the file with.

I am a computer illiterate so there could be a step that I am missing.
I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Pyme

msbmn

msbmn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello,

I am having the same problem, only worse.

When I click the reg file, i experienced the same problem when openig an exe files. "THis file does not have a program assiciated with it ..etc"

yet i check the foler options and the the file does have a program assciated with it.

I suspect that my lap top has been infected with a virus. So i try to reformat my pc. The thing is that my lap top is unable to boot from CD, even if i change the boot order.

Any ideas? Couldnt find any solution from google

thanks a mil
msbmn

Kudabeen

Kudabeen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Any chance I can get a copy of the COMPAQ exe file that fixed the file associations?
I've gone through the precsribed routines that Keith and NicDez have discussed to no avail.

When I check for updates on my registered winzip it states there is an update but when I attempt to download I get the message 'no file associated....'

Thanks

jeyjoloco

jeyjoloco

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Compaq helped me. They sent me an EXE fix . I just click the item and it added or repaired (dont know which) a regristry key. All my programs work good as new again. I have provided the file so you may help others with the same problem. It only works with XP though.

Omg.... I had this problem sense I deleted a lsass.exe troyan in my computer, and I didn't know what to do, because i couldn't open the .exe files, and the programs that used to open when windows start up didn't run anymore. Thanks to you, I can open .exe files again without problems and all the programs run properly; I own you 1 for your .reg file you provided to us, thank you so much.

Edited by jeyjoloco, 23 November 2007 - 12:39 AM.

Sushi~X

Sushi~X

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having this same problem, only I can't open a single thing, no Internet Explorer, My Computer, Documents, anything. Can someone please hepl me, this computer was a hand me down so I don't have the discs to redo the OS...I really want my computer back

Sushi~X

Sushi~X

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having this same problem, only I can't open a single thing, no Internet Explorer, My Computer, Documents, anything. Can someone please hepl me, this computer was a hand me down so I don't have the discs to redo the OS...I really want my computer back

Sushi~X

Sushi~X

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Advertisements

Erose2002

Erose2002

• Pip
  • 1 posts
TY! I was having the exact same problem. And I got my pc from Dell, so the cheapo's didn't send me an XP cd. So i couldn't simply reformat. I ran the xp_exe_fix :) and i can use my computer now. I know this is years after the original posts. But i wanted to say thank you regardless.

jaimelemer

jaimelemer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
BLESS YOU FOR THAT FIX!

This has vexed me for days, and I couldn't figure out what to do. Talk about stress. It's years later, and you have SAVED MY LAPTOP! I cannot thank you enough for posting that file for the rest of us to use. I copied it onto my flash drive (I was using a desktop computer because I couldn't connect to the internet on my laptop) and loaded it onto the laptop (a crappy Dell) and HALLELUJAH... five seconds later it is working as normal.

I wish I knew exactly what I did wrong, but now I have the fix saved on my flash drive in case whatever I did happens again!

Thank you a million times over!

creativev

creativev

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Sorry for the delayed response. I am getting an error message similar to the one in the picture attached. The exception is it says sfc.exe not Bionic_commando.sav.

Dear Friend,

Thanks for the usefull information. I solved my problem.

Manish

Erotic_ah

Erotic_ah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Nic....
Thanks for the exe fix, I needed that! Ive been going nuts trying to figure out how to fix it! YAY! I love geeks!
:)

rhythym

rhythym

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks Nicdez, the"XP exe fix" worked fine on a Toshiba XP Laptop.

Edited by rhythym, 21 September 2009 - 07:13 AM.