Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scolling text

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello i have been searching for ages for some html or some kind of code that would alow text to scrole non stop. A good example of this would be the credits at the end of a movie. Any idea or help would be greatly apreciated. thanx! i want to place this on my second page on my web site (www.afrique2007.org) it would be the donations and such. The text with the black background.

Edited by james_8970, 08 January 2006 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
u can use the <marquee> tag for horizntal movement, but that is only in IE. it if you have question about editing a movie go in the film editing form and post there. i dont know of any html tag that makes a horizontal text shift. if you realy need i you could use CSS or someother language or make a gif.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
no i was just using a film as an example, i do not wish to do one :tazz: however i'm new to the creation of web pages could you tell me what exactly CSS is and i can't c how a gif would work in this case

Edited by james_8970, 08 January 2006 - 10:13 PM.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
an animated gif whould be a poor desion in this situation but it is possible. CSS is a laugage based around Style sheets, unfortunetly i am not a compatent CSS progarammer so i cant help you, but i do belive it is possible to use it in this case.

sorry i cant be more helpfull

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
your looking for a shoutbox. this is generally a PHP file. you can get these from various places on the net, most are free but some may charge for it.

I did a google search on these. here are the results from it.
google search on shoutboxes

hope this helps

jrm-hosting

jrm-hosting

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey, I am too a new beginner to web design.

Click here

Check this link and tell me if that's what you are looking for, and if it is, well the code to this was simply done with the marquee tag in html mentioned early in this post.

which is:
<marquee behavior=scroll direction=up width="333" height="30">
<p> Your Message</P>
</marquee>

Please let me know if that was any help to you.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
the only drawback to that is that they would need to update that code daily. with the PHP file they could tie it directly to a db which could be "attached" to their money management account of choice. even still, this is something that needs to be looked into. I'm not sure if a place like Paypal would allow that kind of connection.
so they are inherintly stuck with having to have their own database through a shopping cart setup.

Edited by Dragon, 09 January 2006 - 02:46 PM.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=up width="333" height="30">

i never knew that the marquee tag had a direction modifer. :tazz: wow you learn somthing new everyday :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hey i have fooled around with it, i was wondering y it wasn't working properly in firefox. Anyone got any idea's for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanx
James

edit: the site if someone doesn't know is www.afrique2007.org and its on the second page thanx.

Edited by james_8970, 02 February 2006 - 10:04 PM.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I could be wrong but I don't think FF supports the marquee tag

Instead why don't you try a small java applet to do what you want

Java applets

One of these should do the trick.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ya that was what i had feared, well on to javascript.
thanx
James