Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Delete partition in XP/98 dual boot system

• Please log in to reply

kgrave6756

kgrave6756

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My pc has a dual boot system (Win 98 and XP) of which I'd like to remove Win 98 from. The systems are not on the same partition. I believe C:\ contains '98 and D:\ contains XP. I've tried to delete the C:\ partition from Disk Management, but it won't allow me to do so (the option is greyed out). Is there another way to remove the unwanted partition? Is this even the correct way to go about removing the '98 OS?

Win 98 takes up quite a bit of extra space on my pc, and I'd like to gain that back by removing this unused system.

Thank you in advance for your commentary/assistance!

K

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,565 posts
I believe that with a WIndoze dual boot system it puts some of the boot information on the primary boot partition, in this case Win98. So, I suspect that you would have problems with removing it.

I am not sure if you can repair the XP partition to get it to boot directly. If you wanted to reload XP, then it is easier, but perhaps that is not want you want.

If you really want to try, then you need to boot using a CD and remove the partition. The way I would try it is to use Knoppix (Live CD) and run fdisk to change the partition type to something else, then use the XP boot CD to repair the installation and see if you can get it to boot. If not, then you can change the partition back. The problem with this is that you may damage the XP installation.

kgrave6756

kgrave6756

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I appreciate your response. I'm not the most technically savvy person out there, so not all of your advice makes perfect sense to me.

I'd like to handle this in the most easy fashion. So if it means removing XP first to get at 98, I'd be fairly open to that. Please give me pointers about how to remove XP properly, and then how to go about doing the same with 98.

Thank you!

K

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,565 posts
If you have nothing on the machine that you want, you should be able to just reload XP and at the start I believe that it asks if you want to reuse the partition or repartition the disk. Just repartition the disk and wipe the existing partition out.

kgrave6756

kgrave6756

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I followed your instructions about wiping out the partition, and this is what happened when I chose to delete partition D. Can you give me more advice about Fdisk? Would it allow me to partition space differently? Couldn't I just put both systems on the same partition (C:), and live with it?

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.
 To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press Enter
 To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
 To delete the selected partition, press D.

18362 MB Disk ) at Id ) on bus ) on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition1 [FAT32] 14692 MB <13986 MB free>
D: Partition2 <SYSTEM_SAVE> [FAT32] <3669 MB free>

Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary Setup files that are required to complete the installation.

deodar

deodar

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Kgrave.http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php/id/36
Sorry it's not a tiny url.I use and recommend Partition Magic 9 ,it's so easy to do disk management with.
Last time I installed XP on a 98 system,I took the option to change file format to NTFS and delete FAT 32,
windows appeared happy to do this.The operation takes time as the format is changed,but avoids any
possible conflicts between systems.You can not of course have two different file systems on the same
partition,or 2 O/S.Partition Magic allows me to merge partitions,,selectively format one partition,create and
resize partitions,move them on the drive,uninstalll & delete traces of unwelcome applications or O/S.,
all 'on the fly' without affecting other data.Awesome.Acronis have similar Drive tools,and really, unless
you're a cyber expert,these tools are the easy&safe way to handle disk management that Windows can't.
Learning from our mistakes,when valuable data is involved,is not educational.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,565 posts

So I followed your instructions about wiping out the partition, and this is what happened when I chose to delete partition D. Can you give me more advice about Fdisk? Would it allow me to partition space differently? Couldn't I just put both systems on the same partition (C:), and live with it?

Using Knoppix or another Live Linux CD would allow you to repartition the disk how you want to without the problems. I think that if you used it to remove the current partitions, since I think you said that you don't need anything on them, would then allow you to install XP by creating one partition.

I thought that you wanted to get rid of Win98?

kgrave6756

kgrave6756

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for both of your responses. I do wish to get rid of Windows 98, as it takes up space - and I have no need for the OS. I changed the file format of D: partition to NTFS, but still can't delete the C: partition. So which protocol makes the most sense, and is the easiest to follow? I've yet to try the options you've each listed.

Again, I'd like to remove Win 98 and leave XP (or delete both OS and add XP back as my sole OS).

K

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,565 posts
Easy for me might not be easy for you.

If you are willing to reload the complete machine (losing all data or backing it up first), that should be pretty easy and should work. If you use other means to remove the win98 partition, it should work, but there could be some issues due to how windoze works with booting.

So, if you are willing to go that route, reload everything and then it should be fine (assuming you have all the disks and everything you need to load onto the machine).

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Or you could try explaining how to remove Win98 from the boot.ini, rather then formatting the drive. yes it can become a pain, and may need some duplicated steps, but can be explained to a low-intermediate user since settings can be reversed if a mistake is made without losing any data.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,565 posts

Or you could try explaining how to remove Win98 from the boot.ini, rather then formatting the drive. yes it can become a pain, and may need some duplicated steps, but can be explained to a low-intermediate user since settings can be reversed if a mistake is made without losing any data.

Perhaps you could explain it, but it still would not solve having two partitions instead of one.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Based on your posts, I had no idea your issue had anything to do with having multiple partitions, but having a lack of space...partitioning your drive to multiple drive letters will not effect your available space noticably, just make it appear as two seperate drives.

As far as modifying your boot.ini, I'd recommend asking that to one of the more experienced techs on this site, I could try, but an error in your boot.ini would cause your system to not boot very likely, which I'm not prepared to do if you have other viable options such a the other techs...Let me know if you can't find a resolution, and I'll rebuild your boot.ini with you.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
As suggested the best option is to use a program like partition magic
This will allow you to remove the 98 and repartition the 98 section to NTFS
Do you know if your xp is using NTFS or was it loaded on FAT32.
If you can afford to loose everything then your next option is to reformat
However you will LOOSE EVERTHING. With a program like partition magic you can save all data and still recover the extra disc space. You will have to be carefull as your operating system is c and d as pointed out your boot file tells the system where to look for the windows files. The main question is can you afford to loose all data.

kgrave6756

kgrave6756

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for each of your replies. I was able to complete my task through all of your collective advice. Very thrilling to handle this on my own (and not by way of a computer shop), with your technical expertise! Thank you again!