Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I have uninstalled o/s, repartitioned and reformatted my drives and clean installed 98SE three times for the same result and I'm runnin out of patience now! :)

I have partitioned the drives and formatted them, clean installed the o/s and then before doing anything else, I go to sfc (system file checker) to find that the following files are missing (have not been downloaded off the CDROM):- (1) Msisys.vxd (2) HwlnfoD.vxd (3) Scrrun.dll (4) Wshext.dll (5) Wshom.ocx (6) Setupx.dll . Ok, so now I know where I stand and I go about extracting the missing files from the CD one by one, only to find that three(3) of them ( items (3), (4) & (5) ) are not on the CD at all !? I then go for the 'boot floppy' to find that the outstanding files are not there either...So where the f%$#k are they ??? I ask in my mildest tone. :tazz:

I find these 'renegade' files on the 'net' at various sites (using my second computer), download and install them one at a time (onto my first computer) using a clean, formatted floppy disc each time. Ok, all should be good from here...

Run 'sfc' again to find that "System File Checker identified that the following file has changed" (in each seperate case) and I can now:- Update verification information, Restore file, Ignore or Update verification info for all changed files...I choose to Update, jump thru all the hoops and finally "System File Checker has finished scanning my system files" in one go with none out of place!!...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR8...defrag the drive and do a little jig in the interim...

Run 'sfc' again to be sure and all is well with nothing 'out of place'...sweet...Close all and reboot to be safe. From fresh desktop out of curiosity, just to be sure to be sure, I run 'sfc' once more and guess what...?"

System File Checker has identified that the following file ( Msisys.vxd ) has changed" followed by the four choices I was given last time thru the loop, I have tried all four options (twice) now and come back to the same conclusion every time so what should I do? The file belongs in C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM (and it is there if I can bear to look at the f%^$^$kin thing) This particular file seems to be stopping me from connecting to the net for more than a browser page at a time and so it has become a major confrontation between it and myself...(so far it is winning) :)

Is there somewhere I can get hold of (download) a 'complete' copy of the win98se installation disc that anyone can inform me of ?...or has someone else out there been around this loop and found a way out in the past?

I am open to any and all suggestions so dont be shy...

NOTE: I have also tried restoring it from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM but that only worked once and then sent me back to the 'loop'...I'm gonna cry...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Files with .vxd extensions are 32-bit, protected mode, Windows-based drivers that manage a system resource, in order to allow more than one program access to the resource at the same time. The ActiveX control (.ocx) associated with the utility creates and updates the file with a .vxd extension in the <drive>:\<Windows>\System folder, where <drive> is the drive letter and <Windows> is the folder where you installed Windows 98. For the Dr. Watson, Hardware Info, Microsoft System Information, and Windows Report Generator tools there are 3 files created with the .vxd extension:

If you have sfc set to tell you about changed files you will get this result

Open system file checker then click settings to remove ticks for changed files and deleted files, run the file check, look at details, run the file check