Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP too slow

• Please log in to reply

mgozalbo

mgozalbo

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Windows and office keeps getting stuck. Windows cannot seem to handle more than two apps at the time and Office (Word and Excel) open when clicking on the icons but get stuch when I try to open files.

I attach here screenshots ot the task manager to see if you know what I can do to optimise the performance of the computer. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have Norton anti virus, open it, click options, to remove the tick for the office plug in

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options, click clean up restore points.

Click start then run, type prefetch and press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm and reboot

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

mgozalbo

mgozalbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Keith,

thank you for your quick reply.

ok, so I did what you suggested, and I also used the following programmes to get rid of stuff:
-"TuneUp Utilities 2006", which I saw that it was recommended from another post
-CWShredder
-CleanUp!

I couldn't find what you mentioned about Norton Antivirus, which I do have installed, I attach here a screenshot of the window, so you can tell me what is it that I have to tick :)

The situation at the moment is as follows:
-After doing all that the performance in general of the computer has improved.
-I still have the problem with office, not opening if I click on the icon and only opening if I select one particular file (the others don't work). When it doesn't open the computer makes noise as if it was thinking, the task manager gets a 99% usage in System Idle process, but nothing is happening.
-The computer doesn't log off, turn off or restart from the start menu, if I select any of those options, the computer thinks again and the system idle process starts goes again to 99%-98% so at the end I have to force it manually (even unplugging the electricity cord!)

any ideas? :tazz:

Attached Thumbnails

• pic04.JPG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click e-mail from the screenshot and look for Office plug in

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is a more detailed look

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=515624

mgozalbo

mgozalbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
:tazz: can't find the Office plug in, see the image attached

Attached Thumbnails

• pic05.JPG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry, it should be under miscellaneous

mgozalbo

mgozalbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Genius!

it works!!!!

thanx for that!

:woot: :tazz: :) :)

what was happening?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It has done this with all versions and seems to leave Word requesting a scan which norton never completes