Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msconfig no longer working

• Please log in to reply

rinsbag

rinsbag

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am using XP sp2. I downloaded it from MS.

I go to the run command and type msconfig. The screen flickers once and thats it. It doesn't open the msconfig window or anything. I have searched forums for similar threads and found some msconfig patch but it still does nothing.

I can still use the run for services.msc though.

When I do a search for msconfig it does find a few instances of it. But where should it be and why wont it do anything? Is there another patch. I use spyware removal tools and try to keep my machine running clean quite often.

Can you help. Let me know if you need more info.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

rinsbag

rinsbag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks I'll try it when I get home. Also If I am using sp2 but only have the sp1a disk. does that make a difference? I wont lose data, etc.? If that doesnt do it...is there anything else we can try? Anyways I'll try it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need the original disc you installed with, it will only replace any system files it needs to, it does not affect data

You can run a repair install after this if necessary, which also does not affect data

rinsbag

rinsbag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey Back again sorry been away from the 'pute for a bit.

So I did what you said. Put the original disk in XP sp1a. it ran a check for protected files then stopped. Didn't tell me to do anything. So I restarted. Tried to run Msconfig. Still nothing. the hourglass think for a second thats it.

Thats where im at right now.

please reply.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

rinsbag

rinsbag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey Im Back sorry for such a delay.

So did what you said followed instructions...but i didnt want to unistall sp2 because it showed a screen with a list of programs that would no longer work if I did so.

In the setup it did not give me the option to repair because my disk is sp1a. It said my O/S is newer than whats was on the disk.?

So is there anyway of fixing this without having to reinstall my programs and or loss of any data?

All help greatly appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Double check the steps for repair, it will not install to SP2 with an SP1 CD so you must have missed the repair option

rinsbag

rinsbag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey Thanks for the help. It did get me the result but I used a different way. This is what I did. I f you want to know.

I ended up installing another copy of windows xp. Ended up installing a new O/S (sp1a)into a file called windows2. Then searched for the msconfig.exe. Then cpoied and replace the existing one in my windows file.

Then I changed the boot order to start my other O/S (sp2) . Then tried to run msconfig and it worked. Cool.

But.

Then I got curious and decided to delete the windows2 file. Which is fine. Comp stills works well.

Now when I turn on the computer its starts fine. starts up then runs msn messenger and after I sign in I get the following error;

The procedure entry point _GetIUMS@4 could not br located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL

Then I click OK. 20 times and the message goes away and messenger starts up.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long delay between posts. But this did not concern me until a friend said it was a trojan.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download this and install it

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

It's been known to fix this problem

rinsbag

rinsbag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Did that after download tried to install. End up sayin it wasn't compatable and that all the features are already a part of windows? Make any sense. Hot me back Plz.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
then a mismatch with ms messenger? Did you update that as well? You might consider installing it over itself

rinsbag

rinsbag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Not sure what you mean. But I did uninstall messenger then install an updated version. i went from 7.0 to 7.5 MSN messenger. Im not sure where to go from here?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you try going back a few days with system restore
?

rinsbag

rinsbag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes I did a system restore. It still giving me the error messenger. when I try and log in to messenger. My computer still works fine now but still wondering what that error is?