Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

buying opteron 165, this stepping any good?

• Please log in to reply

tuscan440

tuscan440

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
hey im just putting together my new rig which includes an opteron 165 which will hopefully be overclocked to 2.7ghz on each core, thing is i dont know how good the steppings are on the opteron im about to buy. any help???? cant find any info on google

heres the processor;
http://cgi.ebay.co.u.....AMEWA:IT&rd=1

Stepping code is CCB1E

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
I was also considering an opteron, are they really any good for gaming?

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
oh yeh, the 165 has the same spec as the 4800x2 but is clocked only at 1.8ghz at standard, BUT they are good because they overclock like crazy, have found loads of examples of people oc'ing to 2.7ghz on each core just with air cooling, thats my aim!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They arent as good as a 4800+ X2 in terms of gaming as most of the opteron cpus lack the extensions that the x2s have that are useless for the server market but are useful to a home user.

Opterons make good server chips they arent quite so good in a home system, so i have read. If you are setting up a gaming server though they are just the thing, for some reason they dont game as well as the proper X2s or obviously the FX series chips but nothing is as good as them when it comes to games.

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i see, but in price comparison its either a 3800 x2 or an oc'd opteron 165, which should outperform the 3800 x2 in gaming surely because the cache alone is twice the size and core speeds will be 0.5 faster. thats what im working with!
any ideas about the steppings then???

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
forgot to mention, the prices for the two processors are identical for the cheapest i can find for each