Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drivers

• Please log in to reply

john god

john god

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
:tazz: My problem is, I had to install Windows 98se on a used computer I bought.I got the installing windows from your site, posted by DHooper and it was very helpful.I thank-you.After I installed windows, it came up with a whole bunch of drivers to also install. This is where I ran into trouble.I donot know how to install any drivers.This pc is not connected to the internet at this time.Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank-You John

Edited by john god, 09 January 2006 - 01:00 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi john god...

Please download and install Everest Home Edition from the machine you are using now and burn it to a cd. Install and run it on the machine in question, and generate a HTML report...Click "Report" on the toolbar, point to "Quick Report - All Pages", and select "HTML". Attach the log to your next post for me.

This will give us the information we need to help you round up the drivers you need.

wannabe1

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Hi Wannabe 1,

Thanks for your input,I appriciate it. I down loaded Everest Home Edition. Problem is I can't generate a html report.I don't have word or notepad and very few icons on the desktop.I'm fairly new to the ups and downs of the computer.Thanks for any help......

john god

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Generate the report as Plain Text...it should open either in notepad or Wordpad...not quite as easy to read, but it will work just fine. :tazz:

wannabe1

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Hi wannabe 1

I don't have notepad or wordpad on the pc. Maybe something wrong with the installation of windows 98se. Thanks again

John God

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, and type write...click "Ok". (Wordpad)

OR

Click Start, then Run, and type notepad...click "Ok". (notepad)

See if either of those will open.

wannabe1

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Wannabe 1.

Thanks, that opened wordpad for me.How do I know generate the report as plain text or any other text..........

john god

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you try to open notepad, too? I'm hoping that one is there, too... :tazz:

Open Everest and click on "Report" on the toolbar, then point to "Quick Report - All pages" and select "Plain Text". This will generate the report.

In the Report window, click on "Save to File" on the toolbar and save the file to your desktop. It should automatically save it as a notepad file.

If notepad is unavailable, right click in the report window (on the report) and choose "Select all". Then right click and choose "Copy". Open Wordpad, right click in the window, and choose "Paste". Save the file to your desktop as Report.

Attach the Report file here for me.

wannabe1

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
HI Wannabe,

Thanks again, I believe it worked. How do I get the report from that pc to this one and to you? Sorry for all the questions.

John God

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can transfer using a floppy, usb flash drive, or cd. It's only a few hundret KB in size... :tazz:

Advertisements

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Hi wannabe,
I put the report on a floppy.I'm going to try sending it to you.
Thanks John GodAttached File  Report.txt   159.72KB   765 downloads

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
john god...

Ok...open the Device Manager. Right click on My Computer, choose Properties, and click on the Device Manager tab. Make note of any yellow ! or ?. List those devices here for me and I'll point you to the drivers.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Or...if you need all of them... :tazz:

Motherboard Drivers

Video Driver (WMER1284137192.EXE)

Audio Driver

Network Driver

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 January 2006 - 10:16 PM.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Hi wannabe 1,
Thanks again------Heres the info

-?other devices
?pci communication device
?pci ethernet controller
?pci multimedia audio device
?pci system management bus
?unknown device

Also I get this black screen when I first boot up.......
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.
The windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file,but the device file no longer exits.

Thanks John God

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
john god...

Looks like you need all of them. The links I posted will take you to the downloads for your device drivers. Save the files to your desktop (some may be zip files and will need to be extracted before you can install them) and install them one at a time starting with the motherboard drivers...reboot after each installation.

If you need a program to extract any zipped file, try the Free Zip application from the link in my signature.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 January 2006 - 10:26 AM.