Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win xp pro will not instal

• Please log in to reply

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I purchased a Western Digital Caviar Serial ATA Hard drive to use on my motherboard, Intel D915PBL, and I was able to format it and install Windows XP. It seemed everything was working fine, but after shuting down and trying to restart later on that day, It said windows could not restart, it was some sort of error.

I then proceed to do the repair through repair console on the win xp cd, but I couldn't do it, it would freeze up...so then I proceed to reformat the hard drive again, I went through the process of installing win xp, I pressed F6 to load the raid driver, and it continued setting up win xp, after that the agreement to terms page come up and I press F8 to go to the next step and it freezes looking for a file called "setupp.ini" I belive. Sometimes if I do the process faster I can go a little bit further into the setup where it asks if I want to keep current FAT 32 or go to NTFS, but in the end, it ends up freezing again, and the cd-rom will stop spinning.

I thought maybe it was the hard drive, but I tried using the hard drive I was using previously, which was and IDE hard drive, but it does the same thing, it just freezes up at the same screen, right before it begins to instal.

I tried the same IDE hard drive on a different system, and I was able to format it and instal win xp just fine, that tells me some settings or something are not correct on the motherboard.

I even tried doing the bios recovery, and same thing, it gets stuck on the win xp agreement to terms page.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I am new here but would like to offer a suggestion, try removing and reinstalling the ram if that don't work try testing the ram with memtest86. As said I am new and am not sure where to suggest to get the memtest download from.

Memtest is a stand alone program you download and create a bootable floppy so you don't need a hard drive installed to test the ram. Any errors can lead to os install problems.

If you have any questions post back.

What do you mean by bios recovery?

Rick

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I did the bios recovery detailed on the intel webpage,in case the bios got corrupted some how, but it did no good, I still have the same problem, I have tried removing all my pci cards except the video card, I even tried different cd-rom drives, but no go, still freezes during instal. I will try the memtest thing, see what happens.

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I used the memtest program like you said, and I was able to determine that one of the ram sticks was not working properly, I had two 256MB DDR2, and only one was working, I used the one that was working, and I was able to install win xp with no problem, thanks for you help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Glad you got it working!

your welcome.

Rick