Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer does not print

• Please log in to reply

speedie3557

speedie3557

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
When I go to print any doc. my printer does not print. So I check the printer folder to see if it will print, all I see is error. So what I did was to uninstal the printer programs, and reinstall but nothing. Can anyone give me any other ideas?
thanks.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Can you tell which printer you have please? i.e make & model number.

speedie3557

speedie3557

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hello, the printer is an HP deskjet 940c.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. The HP deskjet 940 can be connected to the computer using either a USB cable or a standard (parallel) printer cable.
Which one are you using?

Can you also tell me exactly what the error message says when you try to print?

speedie3557

speedie3557

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
its connected using the standard parallel print cable. The error message is shown in the for bottom right of the screen, and when i open up the printer icon, it says the name of the doc. then after that it says error printing.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I want you to have a look in the bios for me. Follow the instructions below for accessing the bios if you don't already know how to :

1. Reboot (or power on) your computer. As soon as the LED on the monitor changes from amber to green (or as soon as something appears on screen) press the DEL key several times.

On some computers, you need to use a different key (such as F1, F2 or F10 for example). You should see a message at the bottom of the screen telling you which one to press.

2. Once you manage to get into the bios, have a look through it for a setting that refers to the Parallel (LPT1) port. If you have a section in the bios labelled 'Integrated Peripherals', then you should find the LPT1 settings in here.

3. When you find them, make sure that the LPT1 port is ENABLED & that the port type is set to ECP or bi-directional. If port type is currently set to SPP, EPP or standard, then change it to ECP or Bi-directional.
Also make a note of the IRQ number assigned to that port. (Should be 5 or 7).

If you make any alterations to the port type, then remember to save the changes before exiting the bios & rebooting.

Let me know what happens

speedie3557

speedie3557

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey Thanks a Lot Samm, That was the culprit, I guess since they replaced my motherboard a couple of weeks ago, they must have forgotten to enable the printer port.
Thanks A Million!
-luis-

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome :tazz: