Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

coolwwwsearch, dll's, spybot S&D and an unstable system

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hoffee

hoffee

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:)

help me geeks to go....your my only hope.

So, I somehow downloaded CoolWWWSearch and spysherriff. After running spybot S&D, MS virus check and ad-ware on safe mode i think i got most of it. but, then upon my first attempt I got A "failed to initialize (0xc0000022) click OK to terminate." error. Only my background would appear.

So, i went back to safemode and undid some of the deletions. Then, when i restarted, the desktop was black again and it said "Your computer has been infected. Click here." A sure sign of Coolwwwsearch.

So, I Spybot S&D again and zapped it. But, when i restart now, my system is very unstable. The desktop icons continually disappear and reappear and the CPU usage goes up and down. Also, I think that right before it happens..my MS fire wall/zone protector says something from my computer is trying to access 'c:\windows\qerkj.dll/sp.html#88449%resultposition.net' and a website - i'll post it when i restart.

Other weird things? i can't access any microsoft stuff - no MS Word, no 'my computer' and i can't even run spybot. even registering for this site was really hard (the web browser kept going to previous page and back) which makes me think its a virus.

it's driving me crazy :tazz:

right now, i'm using firefox and that's the only thing that really works. someone..somewhere...in the universe. HELP

Edited by hoffee, 09 January 2006 - 03:17 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
also if you can one time somehow get to my computer when you can right click ure hd and click properties then tools then chkdsk or chkdsk the chk both boxes, yes, ok then restart. those 5 programs does help somewhat but not 70% in my opinion as crapcleanner and regristry mechanic and a good knowlege of using regristry mechannic with ("alot of the programs i use") good candy knowledge get the job done. if you know what i mean. :tazz:. if somehow those programs dont solve the problem pm me and i can walk you thorugh to help you out. (NOTE: Even though i may have an underclassmen indicator, i am far smarter than my average friends and age. Has anyone heard of cisco systems, i help a couple of my friends out who graduated from there. Why didnt i include this in the application or was i supposed to? Why you ask?= I was in a hurry.). :) like i usually am heh.

Edited by Agentx2, 09 January 2006 - 06:18 PM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
I have to lean towards dsenette suggestions here,

those 5 programs does help somewhat but not 70% in my opinion as crapcleanner and regristry mechanic and a good knowlege of using regristry mechannic

Well the problem there is if the user isn't careful they could have bigger problems, Not every body is comfortable in the registry and we perfer the didn't go tinkering around in it unless they are confident in what they are doing. We have access to some very good automated tools that will clear hoffee issues up,

As part of signing up for GeekU you know you not allowed to reply to malware topics regardless if they are in the malware forum or any other forum on this board until you have completed your training

Even though i may have an underclassmen indicator, i am far smarter than my average friends and age. Has anyone heard of cisco systems, i help a couple of my friends out who graduated from there. Why didnt i include this in the application or was i supposed to? Why you ask?= I was in a hurry.). like i usually am heh.

You can pm a GeekU Admin and let them know of your experience and ask to be reevaluated, Going this route certainly wont get you anywhere,

I m closing this topic
hoffee please follow dsenette advise and run through the topics he has outlined and a Staff member will get you sorted out,

Don :tazz: